LegacyGT.com

6 mt any cure for the notchy shifting

garygbnj

Is it notchy as in once at the gate it grinds going into gear or notchy as in the travel btwn gear gates? I guess is the problem with engagement or the throw?

The BM series Legacy MT is cable shifted vs the previous generation direct linkage shifted units. Ive driven both and I feel the cable shifted BM legacy, the 2.5i at least, is very bland but smooth in engagement. Not sure if the shifter can be adjusted but if so that could be a start, if you are grinding it could be time for a fluid change. Keep in mind fluid can't fix wear :) If a synchro is worn it isn't spinning the idling gear fast enough for smooth engagement and eventually will need to be replaced. Given the age of the car that isn't too far fetched, my LGT has 181K on a refreshed 5MT (done 81K miles ago ) it was rebuilt with quality internals and I run Motul Gear 300 75w90, it should last me until the car implodes.

• 1 month later...

do they make adjustable shifters for 5th gens? When I had a cobb 6mt STS, you could make the throw longer/shorter and the longer throw would make it less notchy, shorter throw would be more.

08lagacy - get redline or motul