LegacyGT.com

Memory function losses after battery removal

I was just wondering about what memory functions were lost after replacing a battery. The manual talks about resetting the automatic window function, but nothing else as far as I can see. Has anyone come across any other lost functions if a memory minder/saver is not used when changing a battery?

When Googling this subject I came across an old post on the Outback forum by our own ammcinnis who mentioned various lost functions on 2015 Outback and Legacy models ..... and he referenced a Subaru FSM that mentions certain procedures under the heading of "when reconnecting the battery"

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post2926242

One sentence is repeated several times in that FSM .... and I'm totally confused as to what it means when it says ....

" ... Set to the contents checked before disconnecting the battery ..."

Could ammcinnis or someone else smarter than me, explain what that sentence means :)

I think what that is saying is to keep track of whatever settings will be lost so you can go back and recreate the proper settings after the battery is reconnected.

I had a long-recurring issue with a parasitic current draw on my MY19. Battery was disconnected or discharged many times. The only thing I had to do, as far as I can recall, is the one touch window setting and some customized settings such as psi (not kPA) for TPMS, the loudness of some Eyesight settings, etc. Basically user preference settings. Took maybe 5 minutes to go back thru and reset them.

I was just wondering about what memory functions were lost after replacing a battery. ...

Twelve months ago I left the Liberty's battery disconnected for 5 weeks while we were OS on holidays. My records shows the following after getting back home:

“Charged battery overnight before reconnecting. Used ECU reset procedure & only needed to reset driver's window & welcome/goodbye screen settings (via 'I' button under left of steering wheel). Everything in Satnav appeared to remain the same. Radio stations in memory weren't lost (just had to reselect an FM station).”

I don’t think I even had to set back up my preferred Harman Kardon SatNav red light & speed camera settings etc, but you may like to check that.

The ECU reset procedure I mentioned is probably not essential, it is just something I have become used to doing from my Foz XT days when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery for an ECU reset. I’ll send you a PM in the next couple of days with that ECU reset procedure, which may come in handy if you ever need to do it. [edit]: Correction. After reading the pdf document you linked to, it would be advisable to use the ECU reset procedure I posted in my next post if you disconnect or change the battery. [/edit]

The driver's side window initialisation procedure is as follows:

• Close the driver's door.
  • Press the ignition start/stop button twice to the ON position (first press is the Accessory position & the second press is the ON position. Don’t have your foot on the brake otherwise the engine will start).
  • Open the driver's side window halfway by pushing down the power window switch.
  • Pull up the power window switch & close the window completely - continue pulling up the switch for approximately 1 second after the window has closed completely.
  • Push down the power window switch until it clicks to open the window completely.

BTW, I get “page not found” when I click on your posted link.

Edited by XT-sub
correction comment re ECU reset added at edit.

Twelve months ago I left the Liberty's battery disconnected for 5 weeks while we were OS on holidays. My records shows the following after getting back home:

“Charged battery overnight before reconnecting. Used ECU reset procedure & only needed to reset driver's window & welcome/goodbye screen settings (via 'I' button under left of steering wheel). Everything in Satnav appeared to remain the same. Radio stations in memory weren't lost (just had to reselect an FM station).”

I don’t think I even had to set back up my preferred Harman Kardon SatNav red light & speed camera settings etc, but you may like to check that.

The ECU reset procedure I mentioned is probably not essential, it is just something I have become used to doing from my Foz XT days when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery for an ECU reset. I’ll send you a PM in the next couple of days with that ECU reset procedure, which may come in handy if you ever need to do it.

The driver's side window initialisation procedure is as follows:

▪ Close the driver's door.

▪ Press the ignition start/stop button twice to the ON position (first press is the Accessory position & the second press is the ON position. Don’t have your foot on the brake otherwise the engine will start).

▪ Open the driver's side window halfway by pushing down the power window switch.

▪ Pull up the power window switch & close the window completely - continue pulling up the switch for approximately 1 second after the window has closed completely.

▪ Push down the power window switch until it clicks to open the window completely.

BTW, I get “page not found” when I click on your posted link.

Thanks for that mate. Try this link to the Outback forum

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/262786-what-must-reset-after-battery-disconnection-2.html

and then you will see on the second from the top post, a link to "Battery Reset items. pdf" and clicking on that "should" take you to what I was referring to.

Thanks, I’ve downloaded that. :) The ECU reset procedure I use takes care of items 9 & 10 in that table. I’ve never had to worry about item 7. We obviously don’t have a rear tail gate or active grill shutters (shutters are only on the 2.5, not on the 3.6).

One other item that may or may not change is your preferred SiDrive setting (I or S only, not S#).

The following is the ECU reset procedure (battery disconnect method) we used on the SJ Foz XTs which I now use on the Liberty. It would be advisable to use it if you disconnect or change the battery.

• Before disconnecting the battery, turn OFF the engine, climate control a/c, SatNav/sound system & lights so there is minimum load on the battery.
  • Disconnect the battery (one terminal is adequate).
  • Press the brake pedal a few times to remove any residual current from the system.
  • After at least 30 seconds reconnect the battery (this time can be extended just to make sure any capacitors still holding a charge have discharged).
  • Wait at least 15 seconds then turn the ignition to ON (two presses of the start/stop push button) but don’t start the engine (keep foot off the brake pedal when pressing the start/stop button so that the engine doesn’t start). (make sure the climate control a/c, SatNav/sound system & lights are still turned OFF).
  • Wait at least another 15 seconds (during this period you may hear various clicks & other sounds).
  • Start the engine & let it idle for at least 60 seconds without touching the accelerator or brake (keep the climate control a/c, SatNav/sound system & lights turned OFF during this period).
  • Take the XT for a good drive. The throttle will be unresponsive for a while & fuel economy will be poor for the first approximately 3/4 tank of fuel.

One sentence is repeated several times in that FSM .... and I'm totally confused as to what it means when it says ....

" ... Set to the contents checked before disconnecting the battery ..."

Could ammcinnis or someone else ... explain what that sentence means

Before disconnecting the battery, Subaru techs are instructed to write down volatile owner-preference settings ... e.g. radio presets, other head unit settings such as the maintenance screen, climate control settings, etc. The sentence you cite is simply a reminder to the tech to re-program those settings so the vehicle will be returned to the customer in exactly the same state as they received it. Of course, in the real world most techs totally ignore this entire procedure.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Does anyone know how to get the memory seat function working again... My memory settings work, but I can't set new positions.

I don’t know if the following will help.

From the 2015 USDM (BN-BS) Legacy/Outback SM > Body Section > Seats SE > Power Seat System > SE-72:

11. UNABLE TO SET POSITIONS INTO MEMORY (WITH MEMORY)

1 CHECK POWER SEAT CONTROL MODULE.

1) Turn the ignition to ON.

2) Display «Set SW»«MEM SW1»«MEM SW2» on the data monitor of the power seat control module in Subaru Select Monitor.

NOTE: Perform the inspection after an item is selected in the data select display.

Does the display change corresponding to the switch operation?

Yes - Go to step 5. No - Go to step 2.

2 CHECK SWITCH.

1) Disconnect the harness connector of memory switch assembly.

2) Check memory switch. <Ref. to SE-59, CHECK MEMORY SWITCH (WITH MEMORY FUNCTION), INSPECTION, Power Seat System.>

Does the inspection result show normal status with no problem?

Yes - Go to step 3. No - Replace the memory switch assembly.

3 CHECK HARNESS.

Measure the resistance between the memory switch connector and power seat control module connector.

Connector & terminal

(R155) No. 13 — (D143) No. 3:

(R155) No. 14 — (D143) No. 2:

(R155) No. 29 — (D143) No. 8:

Is the resistance less than 10Ω?

Yes - Go to step 4. No - Check power seat harness.

4 CHECK GROUND CIRCUIT.

Measure the resistance between memory switch harness connector and chassis ground.

Connector & terminal

(R143) No. 1 — Chassis ground:

Is the resistance less than 10Ω?

Yes - Go to step 5. No - Check body harness.

5 SYSTEM INITIALIZATION.

Initialize memory seat system. <Ref. to SE-75, ADJUSTMENT, Power Seat System.>

Is the initialization completed successfully?

Yes - Replace the power seat control module. No - <Ref. to SE-74, UNABLE TO PERFORM INITIALIZATION, INSPECTION, Power Seat System.>

From the 2015 USDM (BN-BS) Legacy/Outback SM > Body Section > Seats SE > Power Seat System > SE-73:

12. UNABLE TO PERFORM THE RELOADING OPERATION (DRIVER’S SEAT WITH MEMORY)

1 CHECK MEMORY FUNCTIONS.

Perform the memory operation of the seat position, and check the memory replay operation.

Does the seat position memory replay correctly?

Yes - Memory function is normal. It is considered that the memory was cleared because the voltage falls below the operation-ensured voltage temporarily during memory restoration or manual operation. It operates normally by registering a memory.

No - Go to step 2.

2 CHECK MEMORY FUNCTIONS.

At the memory operation of step 1, check the beep sound (once).

Was it possible to confirm the beep sound?

Yes - Go to step 3. No - <Ref. to SE-72, UNABLE TO SET POSITIONS INTO MEMORY (WITH MEMORY), INSPECTION, Power Seat System.>

3 CHECK OPERATION.

Operate all power seat switches to check operation of each motor.

Does each motor rotate for one second or more when operating each switch?

Yes - Replace the power seat control module. No - Check the motor which does not operate.

From the 2015 USDM (BN-BS) Legacy/Outback SM > Body Section > Seats SE > Power Seat System > SE-74:

14. UNABLE TO PERFORM INITIALIZATION

1 CHECK OPERATION.

Operate all power seat switches to check operation of each motor.

Does each motor rotate for one second or more when operating each switch?

Yes - Go to step 2. No - Check the motor which does not operate.

2 CHECK SWITCH.

1) Disconnect the harness connector of power seat switch assembly.

2) Measure resistance between all terminals of power seat switch assembly. <Ref. to SE-56, CHECK POWER SEAT SWITCH, INSPECTION, Power Seat System.>

Does the inspection result show normal status with no problem?

Yes - Replace the power seat control module. No - Replace the power seat switch assembly.

From the 2015 USDM (BN-BS) Legacy/Outback SM > Body Section > Seats SE > Power Seat System > SE-75:

D: ADJUSTMENT

NOTE:

System calibration is necessary for driver’s side seat with memory function only.

1. CONDITIONS FOR INITIALIZATION

The power seat control module must be initialized if the following conditions are met.

• The seat is removed from vehicle.

• Power seat control module is replaced.

• Slide rail assembly or backrest frame assembly is removed or replaced.

• Pulse generated when seat is moved do not match with the amount of actual travel. (When memory is not

correctly reloaded.)

2. INITIALIZATION PROCEDURES

NOTE:

• Initialize the records inside the module by performing all the following steps regardless the item order.

• With each seat locked*, operating switches for 3 seconds make the buzzer sound once.

• If initialization is done after completing all items, the buzzer sounds three times when the last operation is

completed and the switch is turned on then off.

1) Move the seat rearward using the slide switch, and keep the seat lock* status for three seconds or more.

2) Move the seat downward using tilt switch, and keep the seat lock* status for three seconds or more.

3) Move the seat downward using lifter switch, and keep the seat lock* status for three seconds or more.

4) Move the seat forward using reclining switch, and keep the seat lock* status for three seconds or more.

*: Seat lock is the status that there is no pulse output from the encoder within the specified period of time with

the switch operated though the seat reaches the movable position end.

NOTE:

When the following conditions are met, the initializing operation is cancelled even though the procedure is carried out halfway.

• Interval between each initialization procedure of 1) to 4) exceeds 10 seconds.

• If any of initialization procedures 1) to 4) are not performed.

• The battery runs out or the voltage to the power seat control module falls out of the operation range during initialization.

Does anyone know how to get the memory seat function working again... My memory settings work, but I can't set new positions.

Hmmm this is interesting I will try to see if mine has the same problem.

But so far I only got the window reset need to do. Whatever is in the Navi seems working fine as previous.

Oh and you lost your travel history mileage on the driver panel - trip A/trip B stuff.

• 1 month later...