LegacyGT.com

HKS Suction Kits

Deaus

Hello guys,

I am in the market for some Performance Parts for my '05 Legacy GT. I have looked into HKS and would like to go with them if possible. I am having troubles confirming which specific Kits will fit my BP5/EJ255 with 5EAT Automatic Transmission. I read that guys have ran HKS stuff on their BP5 Legacy's but Emails with HKS-USA has not been helpful at all.

I see that they make a few different kits. I am not sure if I want to go with the Racing Suction, Premium Suction or Super Power Flow Kit. The Premium Suction uses the factory airbox and I have read that it is possibly the best way to go due to heat issues. HKS has both the Turbo Inlet and Air Intake in one kit which is nice. Basically if someone can confirm the part numbers and fitment that would be great and if all 3 will fit I can make a decision on which will fit my build best.

I see that they make kits for the BP5 but only for JDM engines like the EJ20X or EJ20Y. Would they still fit the EJ255? I will include links to HKS's site and perhaps someone out there can tell me which will fit.

Super Power Flow

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/intake/db/18015

https://www.hks-

power.co.jp/en/product_db/intake/db/18014

Racing Suction -

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/intake/db/18078

Premium Suction Kit - Factory Air Box

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/intake/db/15392

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/intake/db/15390

Thank you very much in advanced and I hope this is in the right section of the forum.

I have the "Premium Suction Kit" -> "15392" or "70018-AF008" on my '05 LGT and it works great.

It can be a bit of a challenge to install, but been good to run.

I can't speak to the other ones, as I haven't tried them.

Sometimes you can look through the classifieds and find them slightly used.

They pop up every now and then.

Amazon says it looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HKS-Intake-70018-AF008-Premium-Suction/dp/B00GJ6CCB4

Did you notice a decent gain from it? I like that HKS includes the Turbo Inlet with most of their Kits.

I did find a Racing Suction that I am fairly sure works but I am confirming hopefully. Wonder what the Difference would be between the two performance and sound wise.

Thanks.

Did you notice a decent gain from it? I like that HKS includes the Turbo Inlet with most of their Kits.

I did find a Racing Suction that I am fairly sure works but I am confirming hopefully. Wonder what the Difference would be between the two performance and sound wise.

Thanks.

Not really, there isn't much to gain with the Subaru intake system. The one I have was because the stock inlet was toast after 160k miles and I got really good deal on it. If you go for replacing the stock airbox, you'll get more suction/intake wooshing sounds, but not a lot of performance (and you'll need a tune). The stock airbox is good to around 350HP (or so I have read), so it's more sound that you might get. There are a number of threads around here that you can find about testing different intakes/inlets and the minimal gains you may see. If you are looking to improve performance, there are other areas to chase that would be a better bang for your buck.

No gain, only possible damage without a tune. Stock air box can support far more power than stock output. Not sure why anyone is looking into HKS. It’s not 1992 anymore.

I figured as much, I am new to Subaru's but have read over and over that even a small Modification requires a tune most of the time. I have yet to install any of my parts, I plan on doing everything at once. I have most of the parts already for a decent build, according to unofficial stage thread it will be either a Stage 2.5 or 3 with a few Transmission mods as well. I still need a few parts and a Turbo when I figure out which one I go with.

I was under the impression that HKS made nice stuff, is that not the case?

A big reason why I was considering going with their Premium Suction Kit that uses the factory airbox is that it comes with a Turbo Inlet as well. I have a Perrin 320 TMIC and considered getting their Inlet but its about $200-$300 and CAI is roughly $300 making that route expensive more than the HKS since it has both. Does the Inlet not help with a quicker spool? Thanks.

I figured as much, I am new to Subaru's but have read over and over that even a small Modification requires a tune most of the time. I have yet to install any of my parts, I plan on doing everything at once. I have most of the parts already for a decent build, according to unofficial stage thread it will be either a Stage 2.5 or 3 with a few Transmission mods as well. I still need a few parts and a Turbo when I figure out which one I go with.

I was under the impression that HKS made nice stuff, is that not the case?

A big reason why I was considering going with their Premium Suction Kit that uses the factory airbox is that it comes with a Turbo Inlet as well. I have a Perrin 320 TMIC and considered getting their Inlet but its about $200-$300 and CAI is roughly $300 making that route expensive more than the HKS since it has both. Does the Inlet not help with a quicker spool? Thanks.

I would not sell you HKS. I would not normally recommend Perrin, but for inlet tubes there are not any options out there that are decent.

An inlet tube does NOTHING unless you have a larger turbo requiring more air volume than stock can support. XTR 1.5 comes to mind. The OEM fits and works better than many aftermarket.

CAI does essentially nothing (many are so poorly made they lose power) until you have a turbo that requires more than a 66.5mm intake.

You do not need a tune for an inlet tube, you do for an intake.

Interesting, Thanks for the heads up on HKS before I spent a good chunk of cash on it.

I am getting a larger turbo for sure but I am not sure on which exact one yet. I have been leaning towards a 18G but I am open to suggestions. My goal is going to be 300-325whp.

I appreciate the help, guys.

Archived