LegacyGT.com

CA Smog Woes and LGT vs Spec B ECUs?

Are ECUs between LGT and Spec B (2008) the same? I see two different part numbers on Subaru. I assume Spec B rom can conceivably be written on a LGT ECU and vice versa?

Asking because I am having trouble with CA Smog, everything is ok except that obdII datalink failed, the data apparently was

"inappropriate" for the car, any ideas?

I am wondering if previous owner put in a LGT ECU, my accessport auto recognizes the ECU as LGT/Outback XT 08-09, not sure if it distinguishes the Spec B from LGT on auto recognition.

Is the ap married to the car? If so, that is the issue. You can not pass Cali smog with the device married to the car. That is why the data is inappropriate. They know you did something, just not exactly what (yet).

Thank you for your response. The AP was uninstalled and driven for a while before the smog (~100 miles).

My concern was since Cobb AP recognizes it as LGT/OBXT (verified by another Cobb AP/Spec.B owners), when it flashes back to the stock rom upon uninstall, does it put a LGT rom on the ECU? thus showing a mismatch of some kind perhaps? I realize they are pretty much the same car except for 5 vs 6 speed, I noticed that Subaru has different part numbers for the 2 ECUs on LGT v. Spec.B.

I am thinking about finding a 08 Spec.B OEM rom and loading it using RomRaider (after AP is uninstalled of course) to see if that might make a difference.

Thank you.

Is the ap married to the car? If so, that is the issue. You can not pass Cali smog with the device married to the car. That is why the data is inappropriate. They know you did something, just not exactly what (yet).

Is Cali smog check performed with probe in the tail pipe rather than through the OBDII connector? The state OBD computers I've dealt with have not cared about the AP since it's looking for vehicle information such as CEL's, for example.

I suspect Cali smog would be no different unless there's an issue with the vehicle information on the ECU compared to what the technician has to type into the system.

Does the VIN on the ECU match the vehicle's VIN?

It could be an issue with the uninstall and the ECM handshake. It could be the map provided by Cobb is different enough that a check sum does not match. The ECM VIN and DMV VIN need to match, it could have a swapped ECM. It could be a lot of things.

Cali is changing the tech requirements, software requirements and hardware requirements very often. They are literally looking for cars that are tuned or have been tuned. It is now illegal to advertise, sell, deliver, install or use any part covered by CARB that does not have an exemption number in California.

The state had my business in a choke hold.

Thanks, I've confirmed the VIN matches the car, I guess I will find out when I show up at the State Refs. The State Ref scheduling people just said there was data inconsistency, I will update when more in 10 days after my visit to the state Ref

Hi Mike! :)

I just had my Spec B smogged (January) using Cali's newest OBD2 Computer. I still had the Accessport married and running the custom tune. I had no issues passing the OBD2 Test.

At the time, when I asked, the Smog tech explained to me that the newer the car the more information the new system can collect. If it notes any inconsistencies the car will get flagged and automatically failed.

The question is; Did Subaru make changes to the 08 line of cars that allows the new system to collect more information? Who knows, but perhaps that is what we are witnessing here. :iam:

08 has a newer more detailed ECM. Faster speeds, etc. Hence the old Vag Com cable not working. It just might. I have my OEM 2008 SpecB ECM still in hand, lol.

Refs gonna have a field day with the car cause he wont be able to figure out whats wrong, just that it wont pass. I made a few refs head spin on a top. Had BAR come trying to force me to explain how I did it. Yeah, I closed the shop instead of bowing to their demands. Just like I told the investigator I would. She said I was bluffing. FACK YOU State of California. FACK YOU IN YOUR DIRTY HOLE.

Mods can delete the rant if needed. Tension breaker. Had to be done.

And Gabes car passing is a farce. Hes got friends. The deleted codes would fail the car. The readiness monitors cant set due to the tune. Not to mention the GLARING visual fails.

Its a young mans game. I had no issue turning my car into a craptastic wonder every other year for smogs when I was younger. Somewhere along the line I became very jaded.

Giving up a shop that does 1+ million a year in sales because of State interference does that to you.

And Gabes car passing is a farce. Hes got friends. The deleted codes would fail the car. The readiness monitors cant set due to the tune. Not to mention the GLARING visual fails.

Its a young mans game. I had no issue turning my car into a craptastic wonder every other year for smogs when I was younger. Somewhere along the line I became very jaded.

Giving up a shop that does 1+ million a year in sales because of State interference does that to you.

The new OBD2 requirement cannot be cheated Mike, I had no friend help me. Hence why it took me 2 months to get the car ready for smog and I was sweating bullets when it was plugged in. My readiness monitors had all set, I am not kidding or making stuff up, I have no need to.

Lets see what CA does in the next two years :hide:

If the monitors were good the tech has little to look at for now. But even a Cobb stage 1 tune deletes the rear 02 code causing the monitors to not set. There are some hacks to force the readiness monitors. Hint, hint.

Unless you pulled all your parts the tech was in violation (possibly unknowingly) on the visual.

Any tuning the state can identify is an auto fail as tuning is against the law. The next phase of smog programming is supposed to include OEM provided data points. If the data is outside the expected range... FAIL. Because Cali knows the car was tuned.

The fact that the AP was married should have been an instant fail. APs are illegal in Cali. So is Flex Fuel. Dont kid yourself, its a rolling violation of Smog laws. Heck any car less than 10 years old with a down pipe is a rolling federal offense.

I brought a completely stock STi in for a smog inspection as a favor to the customer. They were concerned about time, so while I had the car I dropped it off for the inspection. I made the mistake of noting the favor on the invoice. Even showed it was a pass thru at no mark up. BAR fined me 17k for "impersonating a State Inspection Facility" for the favor.

Edited by m sprank

If the monitors were good the tech has little to look at for now. But even a Cobb stage 1 tune deletes the rear 02 code causing the monitors to not set. There are some hacks to force the readiness monitors. Hint, hint.

Unless you pulled all your parts the tech was in violation (possibly unknowingly) on the visual.

Any tuning the state can identify is an auto fail as tuning is against the law. The next phase of smog programming is supposed to include OEM provided data points. If the data is outside the expected range... FAIL. Because Cali knows the car was tuned.

The fact that the AP was married should have been an instant fail. APs are illegal in Cali. So is Flex Fuel. Dont kid yourself, its a rolling violation of Smog laws. Heck any car less than 10 years old with a down pipe is a rolling federal offense.

I brought a completely stock STi in for a smog inspection as a favor to the customer. They were concerned about time, so while I had the car I dropped it off for the inspection. I made the mistake of noting the favor on the invoice. Even showed it was a pass thru at no mark up. BAR fined me 17k for "impersonating a State Inspection Facility" for the favor.

Man Mike! That is bonkers, 17k!! Cali really doesn't care for small business owners. I for one am glad you get to start a new chapter.

OP I'm curious to see how this plays out. Please keep us posted.

I am looking to relocate to West Virgina. I should be able to free some brain space and delete all those BAR files soon. Cali does not want small businesses, Cali does not want modified cars, Cali does not want ANY racing (even fully sanctioned track events). Cali has become a Communist state.

Good luck to the OP. Keep us posted.

Edited by m sprank

I am looking to relocate to West Virgina. I should be able to free some brain space and delete all those BAR files soon. Cali does not ant small businesses, Cali does not want modified cars, Cali does not want ANY racing (even fully sanctioned track events). Cali has become a Communist state.

Good luck to the OP. Keep us posted.

Sad but true, my parents are considering retiring in Florida and the more my dad tells me about it the more enticing it looks to live there. We'll see what the future holds. :spin:

I ******* hate communist's states. **** them, Commies!

Irony, I kinda live in one. Not as bad as People's Republic of California, but it may get there. Need to leave this wretched weather and ******* pothole ridden roads (worse than Ukraine, and I am not kidding, I visited Ukraine).

I am under impression that CEL disable does not equal lack of readiness, at least for some CELs - and if the sensor is still present, I guess. You won't pass MA emissions with O2 sensor's lack of readiness, but catless folks with the CEL disabled (obviously) have no problem passing it.

Not 100% sure, though, since I am running catted and have rear O2 sensor fully functional (and not disabled).

I’m due in June. Gonna need to swap back in the stock down pipe and up pipe and hope the latter doesn’t blow up the turbo in the process.

Can they fail me for visual if I leave the FMIC and piping in the engine bay unconnected? Not trying to reroute those things again. Of course I’ll be using the OEM top mount as well.

^ Swapping uppipe back? Talk about pain. I would move out before I'd put stock one back. I remember reading they would never pick on that, especially if you use an OEM catless one.

^ Swapping uppipe back? Talk about pain. I would move out before I'd put stock one back. I remember reading they would never pick on that, especially if you use an OEM catless one.

The only OEM one I have is the catted up pipe that came with the car. Idk if cashing out for an STI up pipe is worth it to use once every other year.

The only OEM one I have is the catted up pipe that came with the car. Idk if cashing out for an STI up pipe is worth it to use once every other year.

:confused:

Just put STI uppipe and keep it there.

Unless I guess you have some fancy headers/uppipe combo.

I am under impression that CEL disable does not equal lack of readiness, at least for some CELs - and if the sensor is still present, I guess. You won't pass MA emissions with O2 sensor's lack of readiness, but catless folks with the CEL disabled (obviously) have no problem passing it.

Not 100% sure, though, since I am running catted and have rear O2 sensor fully functional (and not disabled).

If they somehow have a database of the stock ECU ROMs, they can check for any modification (including disabled CELs). Somehow I feel like that's unlikely, though. Definitely not a problem here in MA, as you said.

I was smogged last year. At the time I had my airpump code disabled in the tune (I have gone through 2 smogs with it disabled). It had never been an issue.

Finally got around to fixing it this year though..

The inconsistencies between each station is interesting.