LegacyGT.com

Rear hatch cargo light issues

Hi, I have a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, MT and the rear cargo area light works, but doesn't go on when the hatch is open. Yes, I know the light has an "on" "off" and "door" function, but the door function isn't working. I've searched for the sensor, and I can't find it. What am I missing? Is it in the hatch striker? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had the same issue. I did notice that the indicator on the cluster showed hatch as open when open but light above cargo area wouldn’t come on. After review of the fsm wire diagram I noticed 2 wires come from the switch in the hatch. Both are light green/ black trace. One goes to bcm and one to dome above cargo area. Assuming that the wire is broken in the boot between body and hatch, I pulled the pillar cover and located the lg/bla wire and made a jumper wire to run from that wire to the lg/bla wire at the cargo dome housing. Now it works again. Hope this helps ymmv

Please use a multimeter to make sure you’re on the right wires

Dave

I had the same issue. I did notice that the indicator on the cluster showed hatch as open when open but light above cargo area wouldn’t come on. After review of the fsm wire diagram I noticed 2 wires come from the switch in the hatch. Both are light green/ black trace. One goes to bcm and one to dome above cargo area. Assuming that the wire is broken in the boot between body and hatch, I pulled the pillar cover and located the lg/bla wire and made a jumper wire to run from that wire to the lg/bla wire at the cargo dome housing. Now it works again. Hope this helps ymmv

Please use a multimeter to make sure you’re on the right wires

Dave

You're right, and that's what I was afraid of. Sounds like a warm weather project. So, somewhere between the sensor and the light there's probably a break? Makes sense, because the cabin dome above the driver's and passenger's seat light was coming on when the hatch was open. I guess I'd like to find the actual break and fix it. Jumper wires are not something I'd like to start doing on this car. But, for a last option I could. Or, just live with it. LOL It's not like "manually" turning on the light is a gonna kill me.:lol:

The hatch wiring right at the hinge is a known failure point (the wires get bent and over time fatigue and split).

Right, I went in there to repair the intermittent wiper and rear back up lights. The right side harness. I saw two broken wires and fixed them. I didn't even think to look for a third at the time. But it's not super difficult. Is it the right or left side harness? Also, does anyone know the color of that wire offhand?

Archived