LegacyGT.com

Alternator compatibility BE5 2.0l Twin turbo.

Hello guys,

I have a 2001 B4 twin turbo Legacy and the bearings are going in the Alternator. Parts are starting to get scarce here in NZ and though the Alternator is a 23700AA350 (AA350 being the important bit apparently), an AA330 alternator has come up and it looks the same.

Has anyone got any advice or experience in using the later in place of the AA350? Are the compatible?

Cheers for your help.

The AA330 might be a different AMP but will bolt up. Is the bearing on the pulley shot?

Yes I think it’s the bearing, I’ll pull it off tomorrow. It sounds like a bearing noise and the alternator is getting very hot when the engine is running. I might attempt to replace the bearings in it. Has anyone tried that before?

Thanks for a useful info guys, yesterday I thought I'd give the bearing replacement a go. Took 10mins to get the alternator off the car, and another 15min to get it split apart. The front bearing sits under a steel retaining plate and easy to remove. The rear bearing is press fit on the shaft and pulls out with the rotor. That bearing was problematic to remove because the two surfaces that the brushes run on were 3mm away so easy to damage, so getting pinch bars in there was not an option. I cut that one off carefully with a Dremel with cutting disc. The new bearings went in easy. The brushes can be pushed into their holes and retained by inserting a long needle down a little hole on the rear thus holding them clear of the rear bearing when you put the rotor back in. Very handy feature. It all bolted up with no issue and went back on the car easily. NZ$25 all up and very happy I attempted it.

If you're handy with tools and confident with dealing with bearings removal and installation, I'd highly recommend saving yourself a bucks doing this. Worse case is if you damage or break something, you can scrap it and source another.

Cheers for your help.

Archived