LegacyGT.com

Gen 6 Battery Replacement Info

For future reference, the Duracell Platinum 24/34AGM battery sold at Sam's Club (and by other retailers) is manufactured by East Penn (a major U.S. battery manufacturer) and is identical to the Deka 9A34. This is a BCI group 34 battery, but it comes with a clip-on 22mm spacer that will raise it to the same height as a group 24 or 25 battery. With the spacer attached, this battery is an ideal drop-in replacement for the OE Subaru (group 25) battery. In my experience you do need to use the spacer, otherwise the battery hold-down bracket may not fully tighten. Sam's Club price (2019) is about $154, occasionally discounted $20 to $134.

Relevant specs:

Model = Duracell Platinum 24/34AGM

Type = flat-plate AGM/VRLA

BCI Group = 34 (24 when spacer is attached)

Capacity (20 hr rate) = 55 Ah

Reserve Capacity (25 A rate) = 120 minutes

CA (32 F) = 890 A

CCA (0 F) = 775 A

Weight = 42.5 pounds

Warranty = 3 year free replacement

See: https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/1692.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the info!

How common are Group 24 batteries. When I need a new battery I'd prefer to go after that extra 70 cubic-inches of space for more lead.

I've checked online, but not locally to determine how available each size really is.

For reference (and why the OP says you need a 1" space to lift the group 34 battery to make it a group 24.

Group-----L/W/H/in^3

24-----10.3/6.8/8.9/623

34-----10.3/6.8/7.9/553

25------9.1/6.9/8.9/559

Note: Stock Group is 25

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

How common are Group 24 batteries.

At the current time, Group 24 seem to be considerably less common than Group 34 but possibly more common than Group 25. Group 34 has been used for decades in many different Chrysler Corp. vehicles. Some (many? most?) battery manufacturers these days appear to offer either Group 24 or Group 34 batteries, but not both. Either will usually offer substantially higher capacity than the OE Subaru Group 25 battery.

When I need a new battery I'd prefer to go after that extra 70 cubic-inches of space for more lead.
Me too, but larger physical size doesn't guarantee higher electrical capacity, and then there is the relative value (cost vs. performance) to consider. I'm certainly not advocating one battery over another. Choice is good.

Edit: Your comment about lead content is worth expanding on. Within any BCI Group number, battery weight is a good indicator of relative lead content. As a rule of thumb, the higher the lead content, the greater the AH (amp-hour) and Reserve Capacity numbers. On the other hand, CA and CCA numbers are more highly correlated with plate geometry (i.e. surface area) than with plate mass (i.e. weight).

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

At the current time, Group 24 seem to be considerably less common than Group 34 but possibly more common than Group 25. Group 34 has been used for decades in many different Chrysler Corp. vehicles. Some (many? most?) battery manufacturers these days appear to offer either Group 24 or Group 34 batteries, but not both. Either will usually offer substantially higher capacity than the OE Subaru Group 25 battery.

Me too, but larger physical size doesn't guarantee higher electrical capacity, and then there is the relative value (cost vs. performance) to consider. I'm certainly not advocating one battery over another. Choice is good.

Agreed.

I never want to be surprised so I keep a spread-sheet of available Group 24, 25 and 34 batteries offered by the majors that I update every few months. It's interesting that some will offer a lot of information while others offer almost none.

'15 FB25

• 1 month later...

Just replaced mine @ 160k miles as I was getting intermittent starting issues which I can't take a chance on with by daily driver and needed quick replacement.

After research I went with O'Reilly Super Start Extreme Part# 34EXT:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/extreme-5361/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/aa237490c00e/super-start-extreme-group-size-34-top-post-battery/34extj/4742603/2016/subaru/legacy?manufacturer=true&pos=3

Could have chosen the size 24 but it only had 750 CCA and weighed 43.7 lbs.

The size 34 had 800 CCA and weighed 41.0 lbs.

Even though their website states that "Part Doesn't Fit 2016 Legacy", it fit just fine.

It comes with a spacer on the top of the battery that you remove and snap on the bottom.

• 5 months later...

I think Farm and Fleet is specific to Wisconsin and surrounding states, but I got a 7 year "platinum" group 34 battery from there today for $95. Came with a spacer so it fits great. 800CCA, 985CA, and 3 yr free replacement (prorated refund after 3 years). Hard to beat that!

Since the 34 battery has a larger perimeter than the stock 25 battery, I cut the little heat shield that was around the original battery, and essentially expanded it by taping some pipe insulation to the ends so that it could fit around the new one. I arranged it so that part is by the headlight since I doubt that side does much anyway as it's furthest from the engine.

I went with an Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery

Model: 25

Weight: 31.7 lb

C20 Capacity: 44 Ah

Post Type: SAE Post

CCA: 720 Amp

Width: 6.75 in

Length: 9.38 in

Height: 7.69 in

Reserve Capacity @25 Amps: 90 Minutes

Voltage: 12 Volts

Case Material: Polypropylene

Case Color: Dark Gray

Cover Color: "OPTIMA" Red

Group Size: BCI: 25

Internal Resistance: 0.003

CA: 910 Amp

I have not one complaint. The first thing I noticed was that it's about 10 lbs lighter than stock. There have been some frigid cold mornings and the car fired right up no issues.

Edited by JRu17

• 10 months later...

Wondering if anyone here does much car camping, where they need deep-cycle capability ? I've used a couple Optima Yellowtops over the past 10 years, worked fine, and I'm ready for another. Have read that Optima has gone downhill recently, so I'm looking at alternatives like Northstar AGM or Duralast Platinum.

Some of those mention that car alternators aren't good at charging them back up after deep discharge, maybe even causing alternator damage, but like I said I've had no problem with the Optima.

Mine car isn't Gen 6, but I imagine the issue are the same, except my car specs a Group 35 (same size as 25, but terminals on opposite side).

Edited by RustyShackleford

Wondering if anyone here does much car camping, where they need deep-cycle capability ? I've used a couple Optima Yellowtops over the past 10 years, worked fine, and I'm ready for another. Have read that Optima has gone downhill recently, so I'm looking at alternatives like Northstar AGM or Duralast Platinum.

Some of those mention that car alternators aren't good at charging them back up after deep discharge, maybe even causing alternator damage, but like I said I've had no problem with the Optima.

Mine car isn't Gen 6, but I imagine the issue are the same, except my car specs a Group 35 (same size as 25, but terminals on opposite side).

Check out Full Throttle batteries!

Heard good stuff about them,I will be trying them out once my red optima craps out.

Also Limitless batteries but they aren’t cheap

... which size battery will use up battery tray 100% and still be able to be secured using OEM setup?

Summarizing information previously posted: OE battery is BCI Group 25. Group 24 is the largest drop-in replacement. Group 34 is a common size that will fit, too.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

• 3 months later...

Thank everybody for the information. I was able to change the battery in the cold northeastern weather as the stock one died amid the storm. After several times of jump starts in the morning, it just won't start itself anymore. It lasted for five and a half years.

Bought some tools from a local parts store like the 12V extender, setting saver, deep 10mm socket, brush, and sprays, etc. Hooked up the setting saver to another car with 12V first. All settings seemed carried over.

As for the battery, saw group 25 at local Costco but bought a group 24 because of the higher CCA. Had to put aside the OEM group 25 battery wrapper. Wondering if it can still be used for a group 24?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

How did the terminals fit? Did you have plenty of room for the wiring?

I put a group 24 in my Forester and it’s a very tight fit wire-wise. Physically, the battery fit just fine.

'15 FB25

How did the terminals fit? Did you have plenty of room for the wiring?

I put a group 24 in my Forester and it’s a very tight fit wire-wise. Physically, the battery fit just fine.

I had to move the battery to the right side so the negative wire can reach the terminal. I don’t think there is any tension on it but it’s tight fit like you said.

Just saying years ago Consumer Reports rated the Walmart Maxx Everstart as one of the top batteries.

I have been using them since my 2005 needed a battery. Price is around $90, I replace them after 5 years, before the 6th Winter. My wagon has never failed to start even in the cold VT mornings at -29F.

Sorry I'm cheap and just can't see spending the $$$ for those red top batteries. When our 18' Outback 3.6R needs a battery it will get one from Walmart.

How many years do you guy's get out of the Optima's ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How many years do you guy's get out of the Optima's ?

Mine lasted 5 years, but I would never buy another. There is simply no reason they cost so much compared to what you get from normal battery. But I would highly recommend Costco. Warranty is better than Walmarts

Mine lasted 5 years, but I would never buy another. There is simply no reason they cost so much compared to what you get from normal battery. But I would highly recommend Costco. Warranty is better than Walmarts

I always use optima,always lasted me 4-6 years

Sorry to hear they don't last any longer then a $90 battery.

FWIW, my 1086 F150 has gone 9 years on a battery from Advanced auto parts back when my son worked there. It was there top level battery. The truck sits on the lawn from Dec. to April.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
Got AAA to replace my battery March of 2020....Tuesday was at the dealer to check the brakes which were fine but battery was bad....Got home and called AAA....45 minutes later they were out installing another battery....Group 25 batteries the tech said aren't a big turnover ...My old one had a date of 1/20 on it.....The new one says its 11/20....First three years free replacement and then two years after that prorated....2016 Legacy Premium 2.5 with 89800 miles.....

Got AAA to replace my battery March of 2020....Tuesday was at the dealer to check the brakes which were fine but battery was bad....Got home and called AAA....45 minutes later they were out installing another battery....Group 25 batteries the tech said aren't a big turnover ...My old one had a date of 1/20 on it.....The new one says its 11/20....First three years free replacement and then two years after that prorated....2016 Legacy Premium 2.5 with 89800 miles.....

How much did that initial battery cost?

Did March battery replace the OEM? What mileage?

'15 FB25

How much did that initial battery cost?

Did March battery replace the OEM? What mileage?

AAA charged 143.00...Came out and in less than 20 minutes new battery was installed...Yes it replaced the original battery and had 81k miles on it then, due to being retire I only drove it 8k last year....