LegacyGT.com

Really embarrassing question Turbo

Okay so today I had to replace a bolt on my turbo to down pipe. The head cracked off so it left the nut and stud in the hole. I tried pulling it out but it was getting wedges against the turbo housing. I tried to wedge it up and out then my stupid anger got the best of me. In my mind I was thinking get a flat head and try to break the bolt with the flat head and a hammer. Now I hit the bolt like this maybe 20 times before my brain actually turned back on. I ended up using a dremel and a cutting wheel and just cutting it off. But anyways the question. I’m assuming hitting the bolt with a screwdriver and a hammer is a no no. How bad if any did I mess up my turbo? Anything to be worried about? And it was stupid so feel free to fire shots as you will >.<

Put a new nut and bolt back in there and send it. I doubt you screwed anything up and if a few hammer taps did put it over the edge, it was ready to go on you anyways.

We all go about our own way of making repairs. Sometimes I stop what I am doing, think about it for a few minutes (after going to the fridge....) and then go back at whatever it is with fresh thoughts and often things work out just fine. Props to you for realizing there was another way.

I'm sure you already know but a set of left hand drill bits are a huge help for taking out broken fasteners. I snapped the little bolt that holds my avcs solenoid on and felt like an idiot, ran to harbor freight while I let some wd40 penetrate the threads and got a set for 10 bucks only took me 5 min to get it out with the right size drill bit. Just wanted to share my experience good luck with the turbo, I wouldn't think it should hurt it.

You should use anti-seize compound on all the threads of anything you put on the car. I even use it on the lug nuts.

Any Auto Parts store will have some.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived