LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Radio w/ Factory Sub

TheMahFromTheU

Hi All,

I was wondering if I can get an aftermarket radio like the Pioneer MVH-1400NEX and use it with the factory sub under drivers seat? I’m wanting a little more bass and thought this might be the easiest solution. I plan to change all door speakers and get the kit from avojdm.com. I did see a circular cutout in my trunk which looked like a space for a rear deck sub - any suggestions?

05 Legacy GT without factory sub 5EAT.

If your car isn’t equipped with a factory sub already, it’d be a lot easier to buy one for the trunk and just wire it to the deck how it should be. Factory sub isn’t that great anyways and a small sub in the rear will far better suit your needs.

There is one in the classifieds right now with an amp that fits over the spare tire. Looks like the perfect piece for you.

Much appreciated. Ill have a look see.

If your car isn’t equipped with a factory sub already, it’d be a lot easier to buy one for the trunk and just wire it to the deck how it should be. Factory sub isn’t that great anyways and a small sub in the rear will far better suit your needs.

There is one in the classifieds right now with an amp that fits over the spare tire. Looks like the perfect piece for you.

Thanks.

But I may end up getting the factory sub and I read the thread on what others said about the sub. I'm not lookin to set off car alarms, I also want simplicity which I believe the factory sub will provide with mounting location and plug and play harness.

To try to answer your original question, it should be very easy to make the OEM subwoofer work with your aftermarket stereo. The subwoofer is actually tapped off of the rear speakers, so there is no wiring to deal with at the head unit. Basically, if the rear speakers are hooked up, the subwoofer will work. The downside to this is that if the head unit has built in subwoofer controls, they won't have any affect on the subwoofer because the head unit doesn't know the subwoofer is present. You will have to access the controls on the subwoofer itself (volume and response frequency I think) if you want to adjust it at all.

Now since you didn't have the subwoofer originally, I don't know how involved it is to hook one up, but I expect most of the wiring is already there.

My 2005 LGT has had the subwoofer since it was new. It certainly is no powerhouse, but I think it does make a difference. I am using a Kenwood head unit currently, and it works quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived