LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy Recall for incorrect driving range

There's been an amazing number of posts about this "problem" on SubaruOutback.org. Apparently a lot of people have stranded themselves by blindly trusting the displayed range to empty, never mind that the low fuel light has been on for the last 50 miles and the fuel gauge reads empty. Subaru probably blew a lot of money coming up with a "fix" for this tempest in a teapot.

informenter-marker-1.png

Glad Subaru is fixing this for everyone. I don’t understand how people are running it dry. My daughter is 16 and just started driving in November. She knows the rules. If I ever catch her car showing estimated miles left, she’s in trouble. Winter time. Go fuel up at half a tank. Summer time is 1/4 tank. You never know what’s going to happen. Edited by chowser51
Can’t spell

It's good that Subaru is stepping up to correct an obvious discrepancy. People have a right to expect the fuel level indicators to be reasonably accurate, but some owners seem unable to grasp the idea that these only provide an estimate of fuel remaining, not a guarantee.

If you routinely want to get down into the last 10% of available fuel ... on any vehicle ... you first need to do some testing to determine exactly how your particular vehicle is going to perform in that regime. If you run the tank dry once on an affected vehicle, Subaru may deserve some of the blame; run the tank dry more than once, though, and it's all on you.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

There's been an amazing number of posts about this "problem" on SubaruOutback.org. Apparently a lot of people have stranded themselves by blindly trusting the displayed range to empty, never mind that the low fuel light has been on for the last 50 miles and the fuel gauge reads empty. Subaru probably blew a lot of money coming up with a "fix" for this tempest in a teapot.

informenter-marker-1.png

oh, you mean there is a needle that tells you when to add gas? :p

On my 14 I drove it 526 miles on 16 gallons of gas and the DTE was --- for the last 50 miles

Yup, my DTE on my 2015 dropped to --- after showing about 40 miles (60kms) remaining as well.

It overestimated my distance by about 20 miles. My tank took nearly the full capacity when refilled (68.5L vs 70L) -- way too close for comfort.

As ammcinnis said, if I run out after this experience, it's all on me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had both the fuel gauge and infotainment recalls completed today. The work in total took one hour. Other than some brief initial difficulty getting Android Auto to work (more Android than Subaru), everything seems fine.

While I generally try to keep the tank filled to at least a quarter capacity- situations can arise during longer trips where the tank level need to be accurate as it approaches empty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

informenter-marker-1.png

I agree. This whole problem is such petty fluff, the ability of people to be morons is astounding. Were I in a position at Subaru to say so I'd immediately order the mileage estimate software be removed from all production models from this point forward and any car brought in for service be updated to remove it. Damn sheep, would walk off a cliff is there wasn't a sign saying "Warning! Don't walk off the cliff! Death or injury will result!"

While I generally try to keep the tank filled to at least a quarter capacity- situations can arise during longer trips where the tank level need to be accurate as it approaches empty.

The fuel gauge has always been accurate. Ignore the estimate meter, even NOW that it's been "fixed".

I had this done a couple of weeks ago, no problems it took about and hour and a half. Apparently the update causes the low fuel warning light to come on sooner (at 2.6 gallons left). I checked mine as closely as I could after the update and it seems to work fine. I didn't notice any changes to the gauge.

I never run out of gas so for me it was probably not needed. My guess is that people who run out of gas are still going to do so anyway and they are untrainable.

Colder weather is denser and induces more drag which will also reduce mpg. If the difference is just 1 mpg, then I wouldn't worry about it. It seems like it is within normal parameters. I've seen my mpgs fluctuate between 29-31 in the winter depending on how heavy I am with the gas to around 32-33 in the summer. Again my driving style is inconsistent and traffic heavy so it is variable, but it is normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the update performed. It took about 30 minutes, so not too bad. As always my dealer forgets to 100% finish the job as I found a trim piece in the back seat that I had to put back on. However, they performed the calibration adjustment on the average mpg calculation on the center display without even mentioning wanting to be paid for it, so I'll take it as a win.

They had no idea this adjustment even existed, but thanks to Ammcinnis' experience, I came prepared and remembered to bring the FSM procedure with me. The tech guy told me the adjustment was very simple to make and he set it at negative (-)6% as I requested. Based on my drive home, I think it definitely worked. Based on previous fill ups, my gauge would be around 4-7% high, so I'm hoping 6% will get me pretty close, if not a little on the low side which I personally would prefer.

As I said previously mine went well, but there was one small problem I didn't mention they forgot to reset the head unit. So I had no maps from the built in nav system and no speed limits displayed. I did a reset by holding the power button in for 10 or 15 seconds and everything came back like it was.