LegacyGT.com

Ghostwalking... any input appreciated!

Well I've done tons of digging around on the web and found the what the issue with my car is what they call "ghostwalking" there are days it feels much worse than others as well.

Rain or snow my car feels like its going to completely spin around on me unless I keep it under 60kph on those days. One of the remedies was to change the rear lca front bushing, so I did. Swapped in the whiteline bushings with ease but still the same issue happens.

I'm lowered on spec b bilstiens with swift springs and overall the drive is absolutely great.

The question is has anyone had this same issue here and how the hell did they solve it??

P.S. I do have a set of coilovers to go on when the weather warms up and there will be an alignment done right after.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Yeah, what tires are you running ?

My summer time tires are Conti DWS and winters are Blizzacks. The wagon has LM001's the Spec has WS80's both are 225/45's on OEM wheels.

The only time I feel the car move is on "black ice".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't get a chance to get the alignment done due to not being paid for over 6 months, but that looks like it'll be resolved in the next couple business days. I did the bushings myself with relative ease.

The tires are Barum Polaris winters, I've been running them for years with no issues. It's the 2nd winter on them and they still have at least 60% tread left. Funny thing is that it's the only lesser brand of tire I've ever bought and they have been super enjoyable to drive on. Which I was very surprised about when I bought my first set on a recommendation.

I finally did see a bit more info last night and the rear upper lateral link bushing could be toast too.

How many miles are on the car? Mine has 236k and all bushings in the rear were shot.

Check this thread out. It should have a link to all the OE numbers the rear suspension bushings and their placement. Post # 246. I compiled the the list after a lot of searching.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p17.html

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Alignment should play a big role in this. From what I can see, when the suspension compresses in the rear, the tires toe angle slightly changes. So when you hit a pot hole just on one side, the car handling may behave strangely like it is going to a different direction (once the rear wheel hits the pothole). This problem is really obvious if the alignment is off (due to worn out bushings for instance). At least, that's my experience.

Ghost walking seemed to have boiled down to shitty factory alignment. As soon as anyone got a decent one (i.e. not to Subaru specs) with the trunk loaded with a normal load all complaints went away.

It's not a parts problem (unless something is actually broken). It's an alignment problem. There is a huge thread on Subaruoutback.org about it.

I have zero sports sway bars with avo endlinks being delivered by the end of the week hopefully. I'll do an install day with those and the new coils and then get it aligned.

I got a quote of all the bushings in the rear end, I'll replace as needed when I have it apart. Then I'll do the loaded suspension alignment.

This is also an interesting read.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0711-turp-awd-alignment-tips/

If you lowered it, did you uses camber screws? Riding on 20% of the inside of the tires is going to let that break loose no matter what is going on. You may feel great on dry road, but suspension flex is going to leave tires on the insides, but Subaru's AWD will pick up for any slack.

Also, once you drop a car you are inadvertently affecting toe as well. So depending on height, you could be riding inners and a -2.5° toe (so you are plowing as well).

(/br)

Best way tonstay safe is 4 completely on the floor. And dont run summer tires in the winter. =)

Archived