LegacyGT.com

Engine swap ez30r 5eat into ej25 5mt

I want to swap motors between two 2008 legacies, one is 3.0r autoamtic and the other 2.5l manual, swapping flywheels, engine harnesses, and radiators. I have the two configs side by side; given this, i would appreicate input on the remaining task, which can take two routes--a.) swap the biu,ecu,immo,cluster set between the two cars; or b.) flash former rom onto latter ecm and reversely via romraider.

Since the former engine is EZ30R with 5EAT and latter EJ25 with 5MT, my particular question is if the the former engine paired with 5MT will be okay with the original former rom with the 5EAT configuration.

For i noted somebody on the other thread merely wanted to swap a 5MT into an AT car with same engine ej25 but conjectured on the difference between the two roms, one being the ej25-MT rom, the other ej25-AT; the key point here being that the 3.0r config only comes with automatic trans, so there no is MT version rom

omg thanks

ping hkc-speed. He was contemplating such a swap. Although, without absolutely no experience in this matter, I'd think you'd have to swap everything. The 6 cylinder rom & 4 cylinder rom aren't compatible.

There's another person, Dead Mr, or something like that who did such a swap. Here's his thread but looks like he started with a 3.0r - https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bought-me-3-0r-lots-custom-goodies-flared-evo-x-219871.html?t=219871

From that other thread, they were doing auto to manual for the same motor. They also had this to say:

I did have to use an outback rom on mine for 07 for some strange reason as the legacy rom would not flash.

There's always the Stormtrooper timetrial car, but I'm guessing you're not recessing the motor several inches and using motorcyle drag chains to get the hubs hooked up?

Perhaps a few pictures of your layout might help?

The 6 cylinder rom & 4 cylinder rom aren't compatible.

Do you mean the 3.0r 5EAT rom would not flash onto the ecu on the 2.5i MT? If it doesn't flash, I would just transfer the entire ecm, biu, imm, cluster set to bypass a need to flash.

Anyway, that other thread he is stillusing the same motor with a rom speicific to his motor- transmission configuraiton.The main question is how the 3.0r on the 5EAT rom would behave when bolted up to a 5MT.

I was considering this build as well. Similar to the old PerrinH6 buildup, but I will likely still with built 4cyl block due to the forementioned issues you are having. I may come into a 3.0R for a daily driver though and consider swapping that in the future, let me know how it goes! Currently planning on swapping an 08 spec b into an 08 2.5i limited body.

I was considering this build as well. Similar to the old PerrinH6 buildup, but I will likely still with built 4cyl block due to the forementioned issues you are having. I may come into a 3.0R for a daily driver though and consider swapping that in the future, let me know how it goes! Currently planning on swapping an 08 spec b into an 08 2.5i limited body.

Omg! Why? Unless spec b damaged beyond repair?

but I will likely still with built 4cyl block due to the forementioned issues you are having

iag block, by any chance? if so, the rom question still kind of applies; is the stock rom still appropriate with a much more powerful block; meaning, the stock rom underlies any tuning done? (sorry if the answer is obvious; i am still just a noob)

There's a guy on instagram doing this swap right now. if you're into that sort of thing. @project_legacy_3.0

He's got it in the engine bay. I asked him as i contemplated this when my engine died but decided against it as it was going to require a donor car.

iag block, by any chance? if so, the rom question still kind of applies; is the stock rom still appropriate with a much more powerful block; meaning, the stock rom underlies any tuning done? (sorry if the answer is obvious; i am still just a noob)
I was thinking about the IAG blocks, do you know if they make the stage 4 extreme anymore? Probably go a closed deck iag block and forged internals then recycle pretty much all other stock parts for break in period before doing a bunch of power mods. Playing with ideas and any cost savings with the block I have with about 130k on it. I just got my hands on a parts only, no title, 08 spec b. Going to swap everything pretty much and upgrade as I go into a new shell so I'll likely run into all the ecu issues anyway. I was thinking about swapping ecu as well and flashing with correct vin (romraider?) also read about soldering the security chip option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Archived