LegacyGT.com

Belts squeak when first started 15' Legacy 2.5i

Belt noise is not normal, whether moisture is present or not. The 2.5 engine uses an automatic belt tensioner, which should compensate for temperature changes and belt stretch. (The belt tensioner on the 3.6 is manually adjusted.)

Remove the belt and check it for wear, cracks, and/or glazing. Check the tensioner for free operation, and check that the tensioner pulley and all idler pulleys turn smoothly. You don't say how many miles on your Legacy. Depending on age and mileage, I would probably just install a new belt and possibly replace the tensioner and idler pulleys.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Belt noise is not normal, whether moisture is present or not. The 2.5 engine uses an automatic belt tensioner, which should compensate for temperature changes and belt stretch. (The belt tensioner on the 3.6 is manually adjusted.)

Remove the belt and check it for wear, cracks, and/or glazing. Check the tensioner for free operation, and check that the tensioner pulley and all idler pulleys turn smoothly. You don't say how many miles on your Legacy. Depending on age and mileage, I would probably just install a new belt and possibly replace the tensioner and idler pulleys.

This is why you are a mod and everyone should ignore ehsnils :lol:

Archived