LegacyGT.com

Key Remote Issue

I have 08 Spec B, the key remote sometimes works, but it's not an issue on the key end. I've tried replacing batteries, and used my new extra key when I bought it about a year ago. It used to be once in a while the unlock, lock, and trunk wouldn't work, but it got progressively worse.

Does anybody know where the receiver for the remote is, and how to test if it has gone bad or any other troubleshooting?

• I Donated Too
I still think it's the remote... battery isn't the only thing that affects them. Check it's even producing a signal, maybe a bad button contact - also the Subaru remotes have a weird way of unlocking the rest of the doors, will pop the drivers door but trying to unlock the rest can be an exercise in patience... makes you feel the damn remote is broken every time...

I still think it's the remote... battery isn't the only thing that affects them. Check it's even producing a signal, maybe a bad button contact - also the Subaru remotes have a weird way of unlocking the rest of the doors, will pop the drivers door but trying to unlock the rest can be an exercise in patience... makes you feel the damn remote is broken every time...

I tried 2 different keys (1 is brand new and worked before), 2 different batteries (1 new), checked the voltage and they were full power. The problem is that it's not unlocking at all now. I would press it repeatedly, long and short presses, hold it, and it would eventually work, and it got progressively longer until it unlocked, now it won't unlock remotely at all. Also I've noticed that the driver door lock mechanism is starting to make a whining noise whenever I use the unlock switch on the door (don't know if it will affect it).

How do you check signal?

The remote has a cr1620 battery right? Voltage above 2.5V? I just want to double check.

The keyless control unit is located somewhere behind the glove box. The factory service manual suggests that you'd get a trouble code if there was something wrong with that.

Looking in the factory service manual, there are all kinds of troubleshooting steps, 4-5 pages with different systems in the car.

As for the whirring noise, I don't have much to offer, but this talks about pulling the motor.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-lock-actuator-problems-136038.html

The remote has a cr1620 battery right? Voltage above 2.5V? I just want to double check.

The keyless control unit is located somewhere behind the glove box. The factory service manual suggests that you'd get a trouble code if there was something wrong with that.

Looking in the factory service manual, there are all kinds of troubleshooting steps, 4-5 pages with different systems in the car.

As for the whirring noise, I don't have much to offer, but this talks about pulling the motor.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-lock-actuator-problems-136038.html

I'm getting 2.8V on the battery of the key I have with me, so it should be good. I don't have any trouble codes other than my bad tire sensor giving me a low pressure alarm.

Yeah I'm not surprised if a battery like a 2016 works. It's 1.6mm thick compared to the 1620 which is 2.0mm, and the diameter is only different by 4mm.

It's unlikely, but I wonder if using a thicker battery would compress the contact too much, making it not make contact if someone switched back to the 1620. I wonder if maybe no/poor contact is what's happening with the OP. Probably not.

Archived