LegacyGT.com

Will this HID kit work acceptably well?

I am going to change out the projectors at some point this year but right now I have a burned out bulb and I want to install a HID lit in the meantime

http://www.morimotohid.com/h7-morimoto-elite.html?carDisplay=2014+Subaru+Legacy&preselect=47335&preselect_restrict=1

The above is essentially plug and play for a 2014 Legacy, correct?

http://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-black-series-clear-lens.html?carDisplay=2014+Subaru+Legacy&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

If you’re going to retrofit in the future, these bulbs would be only temporary. Paying more money for HIDs that aren’t for an H7 HID projector won’t be different from an amazon kit for $35. They’ll still be an inefficient light spread and have an unclear cutoff. I’d suggest getting a cheaper set.

If you’re going to retrofit in the future, these bulbs would be only temporary. Paying more money for HIDs that aren’t for an H7 HID projector won’t be different from an amazon kit for $35. They’ll still be an inefficient light spread and have an unclear cutoff. I’d suggest getting a cheaper set.

This [emoji1318]. And then do the retrofit as soon as u can cuz ur halogen projectors aren’t meant for HID bulbs.

You may like this better than what you’re looking at. Go get a replacement bulb for $10 for the time being. Full plug n play retrofit, wiring harness and all. Call to verify fitment and ask for a coupon code. They’ll give u at least a 10% off code. Add everything esp the double brights harness (really awesome imo). Mine wound up $270 all said n done. Quality is good and for the $ it’s great. I’ve done a few retrofits from them and they all have worked well and last

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html

Edited by Wooosh

I have HID in my stock housing. It's kind of a pain in the rear on the 2013 to install them. I have a difficult time to get the dust cover back on and locked in place due to tight space.

I'm about to upgrade my HID to LED on my other vehicle. I'm just waiting on the mounting clips to arrive. If I like the LED I be getting a set for my JDM SIR-G headlight with TSX retrofit projectors.

Edited by amusa

This [emoji1318]. And then do the retrofit as soon as u can cuz ur halogen projectors aren’t meant for HID bulbs.

You may like this better than what you’re looking at. Go get a replacement bulb for $10 for the time being. Full plug n play retrofit, wiring harness and all. Call to verify fitment and ask for a coupon code. They’ll give u at least a 10% off code. Add everything esp the double brights harness (really awesome imo). Mine wound up $270 all said n done. Quality is good and for the $ it’s great. I’ve done a few retrofits from them and they all have worked well and last

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html

This. You wont regret the TRS full swap. Been using mine over 2 years and have 3 three rough winters of getting beat up. I have yet to need to replace anything but assume I will in the next few years.

I have HID in my stock housing. It's kind of a pain in the rear on the 2013 to install them. I have a difficult time to get the dust cover back on and locked in place due to tight space.

I'm about to upgrade my HID to LED on my other vehicle. I'm just waiting on the mounting clips to arrive. If I like the LED I be getting a set for my JDM SIR-G headlight with TSX retrofit projectors.

Upgrade your HID to LED? What? Do you mean D2S LED bulb?

If so, hah, good luck with that.

• 1 month later...

OK update on this.

Since I do not have the time, the equipment, nor the desire to spend nearly a grand on retrofitting projectors into new Subaru headlight assemblies, I went with the H7 retrofit kit from Miromoto.

For those of you saying that the HID will not work well in the stock projectors well that is 100% not true...

The beam pattern is identical except for it is significantly brighter. and you are not going to blind people with the eyebrows used for illuminating signs as that light is very dim just like the halogens were.

The only thing different I have to do is change the A style bulbs to the B style as the wire causes a shadow in the light output.. a slight annoyance.

The downside to the stock projector housing is that it is made of plastic and could be prone to burning the bowl which will diminish light output, so that is the potential risk over time. Just something to lookout for if you start to see the performance degrade. What temp color of bulb did you get?

Upgrade your HID to LED? What? Do you mean D2S LED bulb?

If so, hah, good luck with that.

TSX projectors uses D2S.

D2S LED's

https://www.amazon.com/MOSTPLUS-LED-TX1860-Headlight-Conversion-Warranty/dp/B07KP9RFPZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=G727U31WN06D&keywords=d2s+led&qid=1555926961&s=gateway&sprefix=d2s+led%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-3

Edited by amusa

The downside to the stock projector housing is that it is made of plastic and could be prone to burning the bowl which will diminish light output, so that is the potential risk over time. Just something to lookout for if you start to see the performance degrade. What temp color of bulb did you get?

just curious, halogens put out a lot more heat than hid do, how would they burn the bowl? (yes I know the hid has a hotter hot spot temp wise but it is significantly smaller)... they did survive a 10 hour drive with no change in light output...

given the quality of Acura's OEM HID setup, i am pretty sure the LED is going to be a significant downgrade in terms of usable light... now compared to a cheap chinese HID Kit, you might see an improvement

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

just curious, halogens put out a lot more heat than hid do, how would they burn the bowl? (yes I know the hid has a hotter hot spot temp wise but it is significantly smaller)... they did survive a 10 hour drive with no change in light output...

given the quality of Acura's OEM HID setup, i am pretty sure the LED is going to be a significant downgrade in terms of usable light... now compared to a cheap chinese HID Kit, you might see an improvement

I'm using aftermarket HID kit inside a JDM SIR-G headlamps retrofitted with OEM TSX projector.