LegacyGT.com

E-brake disconnected? during brake job

Frisco Legacy

Hello friends,

(I'm new to the forum) I have a 1998 Legacy my sister gave me (2.5 n/a) wagon.

It's pretty worn out but I like it so I'm gradually fixing what needs it.

I did the rotors and pads, front and rear last week at a by-the-garage in Montreal. The job went well (a few hiccups - but nothing major)

Two nights ago, my was driving and informed me the hand-brake has no effect. Like it's disconnected. I didn't mess with it at all - just pulled the rear rotors off - came easily.

I just wondered if anyone knows an obvious: "oh yeah, what happened was this..."

I had never done rear-discs before. I did the rear drums on my 1982 VW vanagon - that sucked.

Next on the Legacy I need to replace oil pan gasket, and auto-transmission gasket.

And I have a leak somewhere in the cooling system - don't know where yet.

Lastly, C.E.L. is on, and the radiator fans are going full time. So I'm also looking for a OBD2 scan tool - of anyone has a recommendation.

Hope you're having a great weekend,

vinnie

Hi, I haven't tried removing rear-rotor with hand-brake engaged. I did the rotors/pads in a pay-by-the-hour garage (on a lift)

I won't be able to get back in there for a few days at least.

I suspect the handbrake lever would have no effect on the rear drum/shoes... it's disconnected. Or cut... or something.

I hoped that someone knew of a ... littler clip or clasp on the e-brake cable that comes loose - by accident - while touring with rear calipers.

I didn't even notice the e-brake cable when i was working the brakes... I was more worried about getting the rotors off without a hang up on the shoes.

When they came off easy - I thought I was free and clear.

Archived