LegacyGT.com

New to tuning Subaru's. Point me in the right direction

daluciano83

I just bought an 08 Legacy gt that was supposed to stay stock but we all know how that goes.

I have owned and tuned a few turbo'd Hondas but never a Subaru. Is there any major differences or Subaru specific things to be aware of? The whole MAF thing is throwing me off right now.

I plan on using RomRaider

Thanks

I don't touch Romraider editor, personally, and as far as I'm aware, Romraider doesn't actually support flashing (but maybe I'm wrong). ECUFlash is what most of us use to flash and edit maps. I do use the Romraider logger, when I'm logging with a laptop.

I don't touch Romraider editor, personally, and as far as I'm aware, Romraider doesn't actually support flashing (but maybe I'm wrong). ECUFlash is what most of us use to flash and edit maps. I do use the Romraider logger, when I'm logging with a laptop.

Ok maybe that's why I was confused then. I thought Romraider was for editing the map. So Romraider is just for data logging?

Daluc. When I first started looking at romraider typing in "romraider subaru" into YouTube brought up some good info and decent pictures if you are a visual learner like me. Make sure you get the tactrix cable as the vag-com cable only works on earlier models ( I bought vag-com bc it was 15 bucks, tactrix is close to 200) also from one 08 owner(and honda/acura owner) to another this site lists vehicles by generation but there are a decent amount of changes between the 05-07 models and 08-09 so be careful to check that parts fit your specific year. Romraider can also disable CELs which is super important for this car. Almost every change made to this car needs a tune so you might want to do them in groups to save yourself some headaches.

Ok maybe that's why I was confused then. I thought Romraider was for editing the map. So Romraider is just for data logging?

"Romraider" is two pieces of software, there's the "Logger" and the "Editor." What they do is self-explanatory. I use the logger, and never use the editor. ECUFlash is what you need to actually flash a map, and that also can edit them.

Depending on the ecu/file you're using, romraider seems to have more defined tables if you're not going to define them yourself.

I prefer romraider for the editing but either will work.

Depending on the ecu/file you're using, romraider seems to have more defined tables if you're not going to define them yourself.

I prefer romraider for the editing but either will work.

ECUFlash should definitely have the latest tables, if you're pulling them from GitHub. Or at least be at the same revision.

But I define mine myself when they're not already defined :lol:

Edit: in case you're looking for the latest defs: https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/Alpha

Thank you guys. So from what I gathered so far I need to find the definitions for an 08 Gt auto, the I can download the stock maps from my ECU to use as a base?

I really only plan on doing intake and exhaust since this is my daily that I'm not trying to mod so I shouldn't need to go to crazy with a tune

Yeah if you download ecu flash and follow the instructions for getting the definitions loaded you should easily be able to read then modify and finally flash your revised tune on.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic3808.html

Personally I'd consider looking at one of the following base maps available (stage 1 and 2):

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4254

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4453

Archived