LegacyGT.com

06 LGT LTD Wagon

keepclam

Wanted one for many years and finally found a red Legacy GT Ltd Wagon that seems worthwhile. One owner, local (Seattle area), dealer serviced & up to date, no accidents, 103k miles, no rust, good exterior with a few minor dings/surface scratches, great interior, $8900. Rare car, rare color.

I don’t plan on modding, but may do something mild in the future, such as suspension & exhaust.

Used dealer won’t let car go offsite for inspection, but I can bring mechanic there. I’m not mechanically inclined, so would bring someone.

Thoughts? Things to look for, considering on-site inspection only?

Wanted one for many years and finally found a red Legacy GT Ltd Wagon that seems worthwhile. One owner, local (Seattle area), dealer serviced & up to date, no accidents, 103k miles, no rust, good exterior with a few minor dings/surface scratches, great interior, $8900. Rare car, rare color.

I don’t plan on modding, but may do something mild in the fire, such as suspension & exhaust.

Used dealer won’t let car go offsite for inspection, but I can bring mechanic there. I’m not mechanically inclined, so would bring someone.

Thoughts? Things to look for, considering on-site inspection only?

Wow, that is not cheap! I paid $8600 for my 2010 Legacy Gt with 120,000 miles. I bought a sort of beat up one, that was "fixed" up and am now paying for it. I kinda knew what I was getting into though.

Make sure to take someone who knows Subaru's and their turbo models, especially.

Here's some good reading, if you haven't already read through it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my05-09-legacy-gt-common-issues-230230.html

Pricing does sound high for the age, but it seems to be in line with other comparable examples. The wagons seem to be a little higher than the sedans as well. Dealer’s asking price is about 10% over Carfax suggested retail, so a reasonable price to start negotiating from. Honestly, though, I don’t think I’m going to talk the price down much... these go quickly around here, especially with relatively low miles.

Thanks for the link! Will be lunchtime reading for me. I appreciate your help, stewdogg.

If it's in good shape, that's a little higher than what NADA says for clean retail, but that is a pretty rare vehicle, and the wagons are coveted by many. You'd want to check compression, and have them look over the car to see if it looks like it was modified/returned to stock, if anything odd is missing/damaged, etc. - along with the normal used car inspection stuff (tires, brakes, fluids, etc.)

You say dealer serviced, can you confirm timing belt has been changed?

CARFAX report indicates timing belt change, along with copious other maintenance. Working on following up with dealership.

I think that's a bit on the higher side. Cars this age you're buying the paperwork. Be picky, patient and settle for one that exceeds your expectations. The EJ motor can be a hit or miss at this mileage, rod bearings, burned valves, cracked ringlands, clogged oil pick ups etc... Just make sure you do your homework. Check out pricing and conditon on other sites such as autotrader, cargurus, and autolist. There are tons of information out there, just study up and you will be golden! ;)

Absolutely do a leakdown and compression test. Full bushing inspections, cv axle boot inspection. That'd be nice if they could check the banjo bolt filter condition on the passenger (at the very least), but they probably won't.

when I bought our second one, I brought my laptop and romraider installed on it. The dealer let me plug it in so I could pull an LV and stuff.

If you already own a VAG com cable, then do that or purchase the btssm app for Android phone. You could then check all ecu parameters as the car is idling. You may want to check how the car idles cold and how it idles warm (look for misfires).

Archived