LegacyGT.com

Ej255 Or Ej257??? And why

I have a 05/06 LGT dec 05 is born on date... Registered as an 05, tuners have sent me 06 maps after 05s failes to load so what ever that tells ya!

Engine gets a timing code every now and then.. Burns oil, half a quart pr so a week if not punching it... Thats progressed to clouds of white smoke in the am and now if i get on it oil pushes the dip up and poops under the hood- shes dying I know.

So, been thinink its ej257 time- but why?

I recommend a ej257, mine has doing great 113,000 miles later.

Care to elaborate on this MaxCap? 05-06 Lgt ej255 being the same engine as 04-06?sti, same block as 06+ wrx with bigger cc heads? Might have that wrong.. I know mine doesnt have the air pump things either way-

I was thinking about going ej257... Until I read this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336725

Also thinking of retaining my heads and may or may not source a new sb.. But why is my question? To any and all...

Contemplating pulling engine and going forged internals, heads to the machine shop, possibly cams...

Ej257 because it was cheaper back in the day. Turns out its also better. When you order the ej257 from a dealer you will get the current model they are producing.

Have your heads rebuilt, get the engine gasket set for your year car. The machine shop will the gasket kit to rebuild the heads.

Get a new oil pump and Aisin timing belt kit and OEM thermostat.

The compression ratio difference is so small it really doesn't matter, just order a ej257.

Mine has over 110,000 miles ,still runs strong and has no normal Subaru engine noises. The engine see's redline at least once a week and takes me to VT most every winter weekend for skiing.

Get a great tune from tuningalliance@gmail.com Mike is the reason my car runs so well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're refreshing your current heads, then you need the EJ257. Pistons are the correct compression, a EJ255 block will change your compression ratio.

Isnt my 06 LGT a ej255? Not sure I follow how the same block would change my compression?

Ej257 because it was cheaper back in the day. Turns out its also better. When you order the ej257 from a dealer you will get the current model they are producing.

Have your heads rebuilt, get the engine gasket set for your year car. The machine shop will the gasket kit to rebuild the heads.

Get a new oil pump and Aisin timing belt kit and OEM thermostat.

The compression ratio difference is so small it really doesn't matter, just order a ej257.

Mine has over 110,000 miles ,still runs strong and has no normal Subaru engine noises. The engine see's redline at least once a week and takes me to VT most every winter weekend for skiing.

Get a great tune from tuningalliance@gmail.com Mike is the reason my car runs so well.

Whats better about it? I think both are reliable under normal circumstances ya? My stock engine has 170k and 30k of it was HARD driving and #modlife

Mike is cool... He did one of my tunes.

I doubt i buy a new ej from anywhere unless its IAG or similar. No sense in shelling out those bucks to go forged any how. My current engine has a stripped bolt on the block for the ps pump and a few other things- as to why i dont just build it

Cost is why i went with a ej257. at the time it was cheaper.

Other then cost, there is no real difference that matters.

Don't over think it.

The heads on a 05-06 are the same, to the best of my knowledge. 07-09's have a different head.

I have not spent time learning the difference in the heads, because, I reused my heads.

relitive4 or m sprank may be the ones to ask about the difference between the heads. But I'm pretty sure you have d25 If I remember correctly.

There may be some difference that the 07-09 heads don't have the half moon seals on the back of them. (?)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Isnt my 06 LGT a ej255? Not sure I follow how the same block would change my compression?

There are two versions of the EJ255. The old ones (which were the same as the ej257) and the new ones with a different compression ratio. Modern STI’s (ej257) have the correct pistons to keep our OEM compression ratio, and are the block Subaru will sell you to replace yours anyway.

If you’re going OEM, you can also get one of the type RA blocks instead for stronger pistons.

True that... I'll let cost dictate choice.

Just trying to figure out if there is a difference in block since i will be using my heads. From what I gather, and have always thought, the blocks are the same- at least until 07 I think.

Then the components like airpumps (avcs?) And stuff come in to play.. Stuff that doesn't really apply since im using my heads, accessories, intake mani etc etc. Right?

So bottom line is get an ej25~ block and build it- donor wont matter if I go this route? Any year(s) to focus on?

Im really leaning towards a built small block... IAG offers what I will get from a local shop as far as forged internals for about the same price, minus using my current block. I didn't see on IAG if they want the core back or anything so having the ability to pull it and build it later and/or sell it is appealing... Plus new block > abused block rebuilt.

Any cosworth vs IAG opinions?

On a side note, are cams worth the coin? I LOVED the old skewl lope on a fox body... Only know these cars have 2 and if i have the heads out its worth talking about

IMO for a street car...put that $$$ for cams into something that will keep the the running fore many years.

Was told that by my machine shop buddy who would have made more money off me if I went for more HP.

IMO these cars are fast enough with around 300AWHP or so.

Archived