LegacyGT.com

Usdm obd-1

Looking over the wiring diagram for the 95 Legacy now. It only lists OBD-II as an option. It looks like there's a datalink connector for something called "S.S.M." on the 95 that I don't see listed in the newer manuals. Not sure what that stands for though.

Thats Subaru Select Monitor.

It is a very powerful and very complicated diagnostics system. I believe that it is the reason Subaru has OBD-II before the deployment deadline. They had enough data in the ECU to give many of the ODB-II pids under SSM and they just added a little bit of code to output that data in OBD-II format. Then later they used the extra time to finish the conversion from their inhouse diags on top of OBD-I to a complete OBD-II system.

I believe that the ECU hardware may be the same as the OBD-I cars, but with completely different software on it. If someone has a FSM for 94, 95, and 96 we could check out the ECU connector physical size/shape to see if this holds up. Mine is 96 pins single connector to get to the ECU. If this is the same for 94, and different for 1996 then we'll have more evidence.

Mine is a 96, I love the bodystyle and when this one starts having issues I would love to have a OBD 1 due to inspection laws, I already have issues passing inspection if they look too closely. With an OBD 1 I could have a little more "freedom" with what I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Does your state have strict inspections laws or what? Up here any car older than 1996 is exempt from an OBD scan, and if your car is older than 25 years you can register it as a classic vehicle and then you don't have to go through inspections at all. Have you combed through your state's laws to see if there are exemptions you could take advantage of?

Inspection laws aren't bad, I live in Texas. But, the job line I am training for pays a lot better in other areas and I want as wide an area to work with as possible (in respect to the law). I currently have a 2.5 inch lift, much larger tires, deleted power steering, and removed front sway bar, along with some other stuff. I want to do a supercharged 2.5 as my next motor and putting all this in an OBD 1 shell would be helpful for running an aftermarket ecu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived