LegacyGT.com

Replacing side view mirors.

Does some one know if I replace my side view mirors with one that has Auto dimming - approach light and blind spot detection?

My car has just simple mirrors. I asked the dealer and he offered me what I need but my question is if I put them on should I do or teach the ECU of the car that now it has these new functions?

You don't tell us what model/trim Legacy (or Outback) you have, and I assume you are in the U.S., but in general you can't add those functions just by changing the side mirrors:

• Auto dimming side mirrors require an auto-dimming inside rear view mirror.
  • Approach lights may require Premium trim or higher.
  • Blind spot detection is usually bundled with EyeSight and requires radar sensors beneath the bumper cover at each rear corner, as well as the necessary wiring harnesses.

Please fill out the rest of your user profile so we'll know what year/model/trim Legacy you have and where you're located, so we can better answer your questions in the future.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You don't tell us what model/trim Outback you have, but you can't add those functions just by changing the side mirrors:

[*]Blind spot detection is usually bundled with EyeSight and requires radar sensors beneath the bumper cover at each rear corner, as well as the necessary wiring harnesses.

For example, the Canadian Touring edition does have the radar sensors without having the EyeSight option.

For example, the Canadian Touring edition does have the radar sensors without having the EyeSight option.

Thanks for posting that. Now that you bring it up, in the U.S. Blind Spot Detection may have been standard equipment for some model years in Limited and Touring trims, but in those cases the side mirrors would already include blind spot functionality.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My 17 premium came with all the goodies on side mirrors

So did my 2015 Premium, but it came from the factory with option 14 (EyeSight/SRVD [Rear Vehicle Detection]), PIO option 06Q (interior auto-dim mirror), and PIO option 06O (exterior auto-dim mirrors w/BSD).

spacer.png

You don't tell us what model/trim Legacy (or Outback) you have, and I assume you are in the U.S., but in general you can't add those functions just by changing the side mirrors:

• Auto dimming side mirrors require an auto-dimming inside rear view mirror.
  • Approach lights may require Premium trim or higher.
  • Blind spot detection is usually bundled with EyeSight and requires radar sensors beneath the bumper cover at each rear corner, as well as the necessary wiring harnesses.

Please fill out the rest of your user profile so we'll know what year/model/trim Legacy you have and where you're located, so we can better answer your questions in the future.

The car is Legacy Premium 2,5 2015

Archived