LegacyGT.com

brake upgrade?

Hey folks,

I have approx 44k miles on the '15 legacy 3.6 and the brakes feel warped again. The dealer had 'turned' them at @36k miles as they did have a warp to them.

So the question, have any of you upgraded rotors/pads or just stick with oem?

My prior car was an 02 wrx with several mods, some of which were brakes, that car stopped dreat.

Thanks

I've always struggled with Subaru brakes, they aren't the best quality. I've experienced the exact same issues as you, with two separate culprits:

1. Seized caliper at about 95k. I found a rebuild kit for ~ $10/caliper and that solved it for another 100k miles.

2. Seized caliper slides. Shop used wrong lube which caused the rubber bits to swell. Solution was to disassemble, replace with new rubber bits and proper lube. And stop taking the car to a shop.

Generally I'll have the rotors turned ($10/each at a local shop) IF they weren't already warped. If warped I toss them and buy quality aftermarket rotors at 1/3 the cost of the Subaru units (if you get ones with unpainted center hats then paint them yourself or they'll rust and be ugly).

It seems odd that they would turn warped rotors. It's seems more likely to me that you've got pad deposition onto the rotor and they cleaned the rotor.

Are you a heavy braker?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

... have any of you upgraded rotors/pads or just stick with oem?

As long as they are working properly, the OE Legacy brakes are fully adequate.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

i had thought they would have just replaced the warped rotors - but they said that they were able to turn them and still be in spec etc. The pulsing / shudder feeling is back (no, no the ABS type feeling). At my last oil change they said they checked and found them still ok.

As for being a hard braker - maybe? but i'm not on the brakes that hard for that long so i am surprised that they had warped to begin with.

On my WRX i had swapped rotors and pads around due to autox season and was impressed with the braking with some of the pad combos, but with this being my DD and a respectable looking vehicle i don't want any brake squealing from performance pads - thus asking what others have done.

thanks for the input folks

Being hard on the brakes won't usually cause warping, unless you're using janky ass rotors.

Braking hard and then stopping hot, with the brake pedal depressed with some force may result in pad deposition, which will give symptoms similar to a warped rotor.

'15 FB25

Being hard on the brakes won't usually cause warping, unless you're using janky ass rotors.

Braking hard and then stopping hot, with the brake pedal depressed with some force may result in pad deposition, which will give symptoms similar to a warped rotor.

Understood - i'm not really doing any of that. Most of my driving is all of 20 min each way to work and on occasion going to a client site which is another 20 min away via highway. I'm not hammering on the brakes on the offramps either - just driving what i would consider as normal.

The dealer never said 'deposits' and had said they did notice a warp thus turned them while under warranty.

When i used to swap out brakes on my wrx it was fairly easy - so just trying to see if others have opted to go aftermarket or just stuck with oem. I'm not opposed to oem but if they are going to warp for no real reason then i'm leaning towards aftermarket to see if they are better.

also to note - the brakes are totally stock (as it the whole car, no mods this time around)

You can be very hard on your brakes, just don't hold them at a stop afterwards. Warping and deposits can feel very similar is my understanding.

For instance, whenever I get a "warped" feeling in the brakes I'll give them a couple really hard stops (safely), but not to a complete stop, and then I find a route where I'm not using them much or at all until completely cooled. Also as a trick, during daily driving if I think my brakes are building up heat I won't stop on them fully. I'll give room and creep towards lights/traffic/etc without ever fully stopping.

Once you're ready for new rotors - get Centric Premiums with the painted hubs or an equivalent at any auto parts store (painted hubs!).

Once you're ready for new pads - get something good (commonly Hawk HPS pads in the past).

The main components are fine, but good pads are key.

You can be very hard on your brakes, just don't hold them at a stop afterwards. Warping and deposits can feel very similar is my understanding.

For instance, whenever I get a "warped" feeling in the brakes I'll give them a couple really hard stops (safely), but not to a complete stop, and then I find a route where I'm not using them much or at all until completely cooled. Also as a trick, during daily driving if I think my brakes are building up heat I won't stop on them fully. I'll give room and creep towards lights/traffic/etc without ever fully stopping.

Once you're ready for new rotors - get Centric Premiums with the painted hubs or an equivalent at any auto parts store (painted hubs!).

Once you're ready for new pads - get something good (commonly Hawk HPS pads in the past).

The main components are fine, but good pads are key.

+1

In cleaning the pads, I've noticed that it sometimes takes multiple heavy stops (not to full stop) to sufficiently clear the rotor of deposits.

The next time your rotors "warp", Google "bedding in brakes" and follow those instructions.

'15 FB25

Hey folks,

I have approx 44k miles on the '15 legacy 3.6 and the brakes feel warped again. The dealer had 'turned' them at @36k miles as they did have a warp to them.

My prior car was an 02 wrx with several mods, some of which were brakes, that car stopped dreat.

Thanks

I upgraded to the Sti Brakes n Rotors and had no issues.. Depends on your budget but you can find the Calipers pretty cheap then get some DBA 4000 Rotors..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey folks,

Thanks

In addition to the DBA 4000, I would recommend these, assuming you just need fronts:

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/2938_2015+Subaru+Legacy+3.6R+Limited/815_KNS+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

I put these on my wife's Forester XT, and the warping stopped.

• 1 month later...
In addition to the DBA 4000, I would recommend these, assuming you just need fronts:

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/2938_2015+Subaru+Legacy+3.6R+Limited/815_KNS+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

I put these on my wife's Forester XT, and the warping stopped.

Dumb question, which ones did you select? It doesnt show a forester or legacy as an option? Assuming they would be compatible with wrx rotors?

Thanks

Edit:i see it says legacy in upper right and in url. And ability to select via home page.

Archived