LegacyGT.com

Ran out of oil

Hey everyone,

Ive got a 05 GT with 100k miles with a 16g BNR Turbo, and going down a highway at about 80mph it ran out of oil(no warning) and started knocking. I put oil in it but it seems to have "spun a bearing"?

So what I believe Im going to do is swap the entire engine out, instead of cleaning everything out and risking the contamination. But im not that mechanically knowledgable(Im working on it) so I was hoping I could get some help on what comes next, or if there is something I missed?

Any help I can get I will gladly appreciate you guys! I really miss my car!

Hope you have about $7000 dollars laying around.

How long have you owned the car ?

It's common knowledge these things use oil and need to be checked weekly and always topped off.

My click here link in my sig will show you some of what your in for.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh man. Sorry about the motor. I just had to do a swap. I found a used bare long block for $1800 and ended up swapping it in. It took me a month to do the swap alone. I have never done it before, and needed to order parts. I also had to pull the motor back out twice because i didn't know what i was doing. All said and done it started right up. Now that ive done it i have a much better understanding of these cars.

Hope you have about $7000 dollars laying around.

How long have you owned the car ?

It's common knowledge these things use oil and need to be checked weekly and always topped off.

My click here link in my sig will show you some of what your in for.

I've driven it for a year, I'm usually very good about topping off weekly, I had been on a road trip when it happened and underestimated it. Its the greatest regret I have in my life.

Oh man. Sorry about the motor. I just had to do a swap. I found a used bare long block for $1800 and ended up swapping it in. It took me a month to do the swap alone. I have never done it before, and needed to order parts. I also had to pull the motor back out twice because i didn't know what i was doing. All said and done it started right up. Now that ive done it i have a much better understanding of these cars.

I would love to do it myself to get a better understanding, I have a backup car so Its not a huge rush to fix it, I saw some really nice looking engines from IAG Performance, and wasn't sure if I should use one of those?

If you have some mechanical ability, tools and a place to do it. Everything you need to know is on here.

My click here link in my sig is a good starting place.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You will want to also check the following items.

Turbo will need inspection/rebuild

New oil cooler/warmer as you cannot clean and take apart.

Take apart, clean and inspect oil pump

Take apart, clean and inspect Intake Cam gears

Clean and inspect all AVCS and turbo oil feed lines.

Clean OCV valves

Take apart, clean and inspect heads

Depending on the damage you may be able to have your heads rebuilt.

If your going to do this, make a list of the things your going to need and what they will cost.

Make a list of what steps you need to do to remove the engine and tools you'll need.

All the planning you do now will give you a better chance of things going well.

When I did the swap I ran into a lot of old brittle rubber hoses which needed to be replaced. The timing belt and pulleys had been replaced so i reused those. Also look into cam gear bolt removal. That was my biggest hold up. Broke several sockets and stripped them getting them out. I don know if IAG sells longblocks but you can always get a shortblock and you heads machined. The cheapest way to go would be a used motor be it JDM(requires extra work) or USDM from a donor car. Used motors are a crap shoot though.

Thank you guys, I'm looking at the IAG Stage 2 Short Block, will the modifications cause issues with my current car, or just work better than the stock engine?

As for the oil cooler. The best I'm seeing is $600 which seems weird to me, and I also saw a lot of topics here about it being optional. Does anyone know what the story is here for that?

Should I look into buying a new turbo or focus on reusing the one I've got?

Oil coolers can be purchased online from subaru dealers much much cheaper. My local dealership has it listed for 204.

https://www.subarupartsandaccessories.com/p/Subaru_2005_Outback-25L-TURBO-5AT-XT-Limited/OIL-COOLER-COMPLETE/49231148/21311AA051.html

Your stock turbo should at least be gone through as you don't want a bad turbo to take out a brand new engine.

What are your HP goals ? that decides what internals you need. Stock seems to work well up to about 350whp.

Most people won't go that high. My stock ej257 is still running great after 110,000 miles.

stay stock stay happy. increasing hp increases your spend.

Well a little bit is ok. As most of the long term members know, I'm very happy with 280whp/300ftlbs on the Mustang Dyno, some 8 years ago. The wagon will still surprise me every now and then, when I give it a little more throttle and find I'm closing on traffic faster then I thought. Its a great highway cruiser and fun on the country roads.

Archived