LegacyGT.com

2004 Forester steel wheels on a 2002 Legacy

Is the offset the same and if it is different does it make any difference? I'd like to put factory original styled 16'' steel wheels off a 2004 forester onto a 2002 legacy l wagon that has 15'' steel wheels. Going from tire size 205 60 15 to 215 60 15. Any input is appreciated. Worried about tire rubbing.

Just get alloys they are lighter.

I live outside Chicago and the potholes are horrible. 6 to 8 inches deep everywhere , many times you can't even avoid them. I've seen many a bent aluminum wheel in my time where steel would have survived and if it did bend at the lip they were easily straightened.

You can run the Forrester wheels just put on 205s 55 16 so your speed sensor isn't off unless that doesn't bother you you can fit the 215 60 16s

I got a set off a Forester with 215 60 16 nearly new good year tires but haven't put them on yet. They look a lot bigger and I was worried about rubbing issues up front. When it warms up here a little bit I will try them. I have 205 60 15s now with toyo tires and they wobble really bad when they are cold.As you drive for about 5-10 minutes it about goes away.Its a rubber issue with the tires.

02 soobie - the wheel fits, but the wrong size tire. If you want to run the 215/60/16, get yourself some OEM Outback Struts/springs, shocks/springs to raise up the vehicle for additional clearance. WIth the 215/60/16 you will rub, as the OD is significantly larger (going from 24.7" OD on the 205/60/15's to 26.2" OD on the 215/60/16); 205/55/16 would only be 24.9" OD which would be within tolerance for your speedo (0.8% increase in diameter)

Thanks much for the good info. I think what I'll do is get a set of 205 55 16 tires for the Forester rims instead of going the suspension route. The car only has 49k miles on it and rides well now for being a 2002. Without even putting them on the car that was the feeling I got that they were too tall.

02 soobie - the wheel fits, but the wrong size tire. If you want to run the 215/60/16, get yourself some OEM Outback Struts/springs, shocks/springs to raise up the vehicle for additional clearance. WIth the 215/60/16 you will rub, as the OD is significantly larger (going from 24.7" OD on the 205/60/15's to 26.2" OD on the 215/60/16); 205/55/16 would only be 24.9" OD which would be within tolerance for your speedo (0.8% increase in diameter)

One more thing I was initially not sure would make a difference is the wheel offset. The 02 Legacy L wagon has a 55mm offset whereas the Forester has a 48mm offset. I looked at the offset for a 02 Outback 15'' or 16'':confused: and it is the same as the Forester 48mm. Will this make a difference with rubbing of the tires?

02 soobie - no problem. Yes, the lower offset will push the tire closer to the fender; however, with the 205/55/16 size, you should be fine without worrying about fender contact.

That said, it's too bad you got a set of these already; the OEM Subaru 16" alloy wheels are pretty stout, especially if you're running a 205/55/16 there should be plenty of sidewall to soak up road conditions as you've described.

But if the roads are indeed that bad, upgrading to the Outback suspension isn't a bad idea to increase available suspension travel and comfort in those types of road conditions.

Thanks for the reply and information. I got the styled steelies cheap and they look cool to me especially after I powder coat them black. I'm a utilitarian type. I really don't want to put any $ into it unless I need to. The suspension mod sounds like a good idea but if I can get by with what I have and it's still in good shape I'd rather leave it alone. The only reason I have a Subaru is because I found it by chance when I did an estate clean out. 45k miles at the time and the car looked like new inside and out except a few minor door dings and few small scratches.The lady never drove it in the winter! Zero rust on it top or bottom. I have to say the Subaru AWD is awesome in this climate. This thing goes thru thick snow on unplowed city streets like a billy goat where other cars get stuck. Car max offered the estate 2k for the car saying the trans was ready to explode which was a crock. I gave the estate lawyer 2k the next day. I've put about 5k miles on it and only had to replace the starter which was a breeze. Put oem plugs,wires and a ff on it for maint reasons.Still had the originals .Head gaskets were done at 20 k.so I'm good there.

Archived