LegacyGT.com

Considering 2016 Legacy....but concerned

In my opinion, the only reliable source for new, and especially used car reliability and overall quality information is Consumer Reports. While indivudual user reports are helpful and usually well meaning, they (including mine), are skewed, biased and incomplete.

Why Consumer Reports? They are independent, objective and do extensive testing and reliability studies. If they have any bias- it is to drive the auto industry to higher safety and reliability standards.

Having said this- Subarus have been doing very well in CR's reporting lately. In my opinion, Blind Spot detection is essential if you do crowded freeway driving- as is the rest of the standard Eyesight features. If safety is the highest priority and if AWD in combination with all weather or snow tires is desirable in your area- the Legacy would be a smart choice.

Of course, any used car, if it is not well maintained is a crap shoot. Having maintenance records, a full mechanic's inspection, good tires, etc. are important.

Every car has tradeoffs. The automotive industry is in a period of semi-rapid transition to new propulsion technologies. Gasoline powered cars have a future- but for how long is uncertain- 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? For at least the next 5, efficient gasoline powered cars should be fine. After this is anyone's guess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blind Spot detection is essential if you do crowded freeway driving- as is the rest of the standard Eyesight features. If safety is the highest priority and if AWD in combination with all weather or snow tires is desirable in your area- the Legacy would be a smart choice.

Of course, any used car, if it is not well maintained is a crap shoot. Having maintenance records, a full mechanic's inspection, good tires, etc. are important.

You made good points, especially these 4 ...... :)

a full mechanic's inspection

Archived