LegacyGT.com

fluid change at 90k

I believe it does, and I believe it is internal. It's not something you need to worry about for fluid changes. Drain and fill is fine for 5EAT for the majority of the transmissions life.

The previous gen had it behind the fender liner in front of the driver wheel, I don't know about the 5thgen. The filter was not meant to be changed at a given interval, but rather only if the transmission suffered a failure.

5th Gen is a drain and refill. You have a drain plug and a fill plug. Don't worry about changing the filter this required more labor.

There is a transmission filter inside the transmission housing Part Number: 31835AA030.

48f30a738908ca531e7c2959f2f16af1.png

• 3 weeks later...

In 10k miles, probably doesn't make much of a difference. Many owners never change the fluid and the cars transmission and differential doesn't fail at 100k or 120k miles.

I did my gear oil every 30k miles and the 2nd change at 60k miles look really clean and have thought about doing the diff's every 60k miles. As for the ATF, I would probably due pan drain every 30k mile because you are only changing about 40% of the fluid. If the dealer did a full transmission oil flush, I think you would be fine to extend that.

I have the 2010 with the CVT, I am at 222k and have never changed the fluid. Car still runs solid, though Yes, I am aware that I should change the fluid in the Trans, and Differentials and plan to get that done in the coming months.

Can I push the diff/trans fluid change to 100k? They were changed at 60k.

I think Diff fluid should be change at 30k (Can't remember). I did the front and rear Diff at 60k and I still have not change out the CVT fluid I have about 98k.

I was told from Subaru that the only way they would change out the CVT fluid if the color changes or look dirty. I'm more old skool. I'm planing to change it out in the next few month. Still debating if I want to do a drain/fill or flush since I have the flush machine at the shop. I be concern about the seals getting damage from the flush.

Edited by amusa

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

It is about time to replace the transmission oil for my car - a regular 2,5i, automatic CVT, VIN 4S3BMBG68A3233546.

I got covered 140 000 miles already. The previous owner replaced the oil at around 90 000 miles.

Since I have no previous experience with automatic transmission I need to know what are the factors that need to be taken into account when searching for a suitable aftermarket oil for the AT. Currently, I'm living in Europe and the price difference between the oil offered by the dealership and any aftermarket oil is triple the price - Thant's why I lean toward the aftermarket one.

What is popular around is the oil offered by MOTUL .

Any of you familiar with what specific type of MOTUL oil will be suitable for my AT? Or any other brand?

Thanks a lot!

I have done the CVT. The 2013 2.5i uses (6) quarts (total of 5.75quarts) of Subaru CVTF-II (Blue/greenish color). you have to pump the CVTF-II thru the fill plug until it start coming out then you start the car then you pump the rest in.

I believe the boxer 6 uses the high torque fluid (orange color)

Edited by amusa