LegacyGT.com

LED high beam bulbs seem to stay on even when switched off >>

A_Tang

To start off, my 2007 GT wagon has its DRLs disabled - but no foglight mod done.

I bought these LED 9005 high beam bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs shown here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/9005-led-headlight-conversion-kit-with-aluminum-finned-heat-sinks-6000-lumensset/4305/9631/

Without getting into detail about the pattern and output, I will see that the pattern is similar to the regular halogen 9005s, and the output is more; and a heck of a lot whiter.

The issue I noticed right away is that the high beam indicator light came on the minute I switch on my low beams. It wasn't illuminated all the way; if I flashed my high beams or clicked on the high beams the blue indicator would go to full brightness.

Then out of curiosity, I peered into the high beams and noticed that even when the high beams were switched off, they new LED 9005s were illuminated ever so slightly.

I do know that once in my home I had replaced an incandecent nightlight with an LED bulb and that LED bulb glowed ever so slightly even when the switch was off. From what I read online, LED require much less voltage to light up, so the minimal amount coursing through the house wiring was enough to slight illuminate the LED.

So it seem the same situation is happening with the high beams and these 9005 LEDs.

Questions:

1) Why do the low beams have any control over the high beams?

2) What's the fix? Load resistors? I thought those were for cars with those bulb out indicators.

Archived