LegacyGT.com

Electronic Parking Brake malfunction

Hey everyone, first post here (long time user over at NASIOC).

Just picked up a used 2016 Legacy Premium this past Saturday. Drove the car home without any issues. That night, drove the car into the city and when we were trying to park, I found that the electronic parking brake was misbehaving. Basically what happened is when I tried to apply the parking brake, "Park" began flashing on the dash, and "Brake" was illuminated. I didn't think much of it, so we locked the car and went on our night.

When we got back into the car to leave, I was unable to unlock the parking brake. I literally tried for 10-15 mins without any luck. I finally was able to disable it after turning the car off, waiting a couple seconds and then turning it on again.

Ever since, the Brake light is constantly illuminated on the dash, and when I try to put the parking brake on, it appears to engage, but Park continues to flash on and off on the dash. When I start the car, it displays a message about an issue with the electronic parking brake.

I searched around and didn't see many people with the exact issue I have. I plan on going to the dealership (non-Subaru) where I bought the car on Wednesday to see if they can diagnose and fix.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Did the selling dealer change the rear brake pads by any chance? Sounds like the electrical connection to one or both of the EPB actuator motors may be bad.

Changing the rear brake pads on a Gen 6 Legacy isn't difficult, but it must be done correctly (per the Subaru FSM) to avoid damage.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So funny you say that, put on my winter tires today, had the parking brake applied, and only the drivers rear side wheel was locked. The passenger rear wheel spun. So that leads me to believe the issue is with that brake system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to pull up the carfax on the car, and sure enough:

Rear brake pads replaced

Rear brake rotor(s) replaced

This is a Mazda dealer, so they probably didn't do something right. Anything I should ask/have them do when looking at it today? They have a sister Subaru dealer down the road so hopefully if there's any issues it will be resolved.

Anything I should ask/have them do when looking at it today?

Step 1: Check that the wiring harnesses are properly connected to the parking brake actuator motors.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived