LegacyGT.com

Interest List for Manual 7th Generation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electric cars are around the corner and you guys are all talking about Manual transmission, LOL. Not going to happen, period.

Now if these were some high-end exclusive cars like, say Porsche 911 GT3, then bring the manual campaign would work, just as it did with the GT3.

Even if there was to be a manual Legacy, then people would b-itch about it not being a wagon, then not naturally aspired blah blah blah. There is always an excuse when it comes to justifying not buying a car.

Folks should be glad that there are still some cars in Subaru's line up that are manuals. Go buy those while you can.

Who would complain that an MT Subie was FI!?

Subaru is more likely to offer a sporty Legacy with an MT than an E-version. Subaru will always be behind the eight ball when it comes to E-anything....

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Subaru will always be behind the eight ball when it comes to E-anything....

"Always" is a very long time. I think the market will eventually force Subaru, along with every other manufacturer, into offering electric vehicles.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

"Always" is a very long time. I think the market will eventually force Subaru, along with every other manufacturer, into offering electric vehicles.

Nope. The market is very clear in its preferences.

Its big government marxists and globalists that are forcing the mandate of the electric car.

• 2 months later...

Manual is completely finished. It's like CRTs.

Toyota's stats:

1% take rate for corolla.

5% take rate for corolla hatch.

And get this bomb:

33% take rate for their 86!!! Even their sports car made for the manual, 66% of buyers are opting for the automatic.

I'm now even thinking WRX has probably 60% automatic nowadays, I'm even considering the CVT (drove CVT vs the manual, manual feels so old school and only good when you want to pound the transmission for 0-60)

Manual is completely finished. It's like CRTs.

Toyota's stats:

1% take rate for corolla.

5% take rate for corolla hatch.

And get this bomb:

33% take rate for their 86!!! Even their sports car made for the manual, 66% of buyers are opting for the automatic.

I'm now even thinking WRX has probably 60% automatic nowadays, I'm even considering the CVT (drove CVT vs the manual, manual feels so old school and only good when you want to pound the transmission for 0-60)

Just as people still prefer a bolt action rifle vs. a semi auto, there will always be a certain segment of cars that will retain a manual.

Im sorry, anyone that is otherwise not inhibited by a medical condition (like a broken leg or surgically repaired knee) and can consider the Subaru CVT over the manual is just not a car guy. Thats like someone saying they would rather curl up with their girlfriend pillow rather than spend a night with Kate Upton because the pillow is easier to manage.

Edited by Too40gawlf

The current gen WRX is only ~15% CVT take rate. I don't know if Subaru is constraining CVT production or not, but the CVT WRX is uncommon variation.

• 2 weeks later...
The current gen WRX is only ~15% CVT take rate. I don't know if Subaru is constraining CVT production or not, but the CVT WRX is uncommon variation.

My wife is considering a 2019 auto WRX for her next car. Almost as much a unicorn as my GT. ;)

The WRX actually has a take rate of 90% MT. I had come up with my numbers based on Autotrader and Cars.com FS ads. Every time I looked it was in the high 80's so I rounded down to 85%.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/subaru-brz-manual-transmission-take/

Yeah, it's going to be hard to find one for her to test drive. As of now the closest one is in Wichita (3 hours away). I did find some used ones local though.

You can always order one, WRX don't depreciate that much anyways and I don't trust the stereo typical WRX owner.

You can always order one, WRX don't depreciate that much anyways and I don't trust the stereo typical WRX owner.

It will be leased, so the used automatic test drive would just be for reference. She is interested in all Subaru's except for the legacy. Since we had to put down our Lab a couple weeks ago, we will not need a wagon anymore. Not planing on getting a big dog again. :(

The WRX actually has a take rate of 90% MT. I had come up with my numbers based on Autotrader and Cars.com FS ads. Every time I looked it was in the high 80's so I rounded down to 85%.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/subaru-brz-manual-transmission-take/

That includes the STI. If they provided the stats for the WRX only, I think the manual take rate would be lower.

That includes the STI. If they provided the stats for the WRX only, I think the manual take rate would be lower.

Yes the Subaru number 90% includes the STI which the article mentions. If you goto cars.com and limit the search to 2015-2019 and WRX models, and then narrow it to MT only. Its 2833 MT out of 3275 WRX's FS currently, which is 86.5%. [i have done this a few times and its always higher than 85%.]

If the search includes the WRX & STI, the MT comes out to 89.5% currently.

If you want a manual in this car, you are going to have to wait and see on the 2021 STi when it finally gets the FA24 motor. Now if the STi gets its standard 6 speed manual or some dual clutch (i wouldn't be surprised if Subaru went down that path), its going to be what we hopefully can put in the 7th gen.

There will almost certainly not be a factory manual option. Subaru is too small of a company and there is not a big enough following to justify throwing a manual in because why the heck not. They aren't toyota. Toyota may be crap on manual sales but they have the capital to not care (evidence by the very low take rate on the cars and yet they still sell them).

I would be really surprised if they went for a dual clutch option, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever when they have the high torque CVT matched with the 2.4 already. It would make more sense to put in the 6MT then for anyone willing to go retro since that gearbox already exists and is proven to work.
453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At this point I'd rather buy a MT 5th gen legacy over the current WRX MTs. Wish they'd make another LGT as it'd be an easy decision for a next car. I find the Legacys way above Imprezas in interior and ride quality (not quite as go-kart-ish tho) and more enjoyable to drive around in. The new legacys look ugly to me though.. too mainstream on the design and the wheels *barf*.

I guess I'll hold out for the refresh on the WRX/STI and hope there is slightly more leg room in the back with some more comfort options and that larger HP. IF not, my days of Subie are done.

• 2 weeks later...