LegacyGT.com

Help, I need to temporarily fix my exhaust until I can get it properly repaired

WagonDragon

533759d09e0acbe56a5fe72933b800e2.jpg64e60803fab63d6d5c739e3dfaf11267.jpg

The tape you see is some exhaust tape I bought from pep boys, wrapped it around just to hold it so I could drive to and from work. It came right off a few minutes into driving. Any suggestions as for how I can fix this?

The car is a 1999 Subaru Outback, by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the flanges still intact and just missing some bolts? Try getting some new bolts or metal zip ties? Exhaust tape is only meant to fix a hole in the middle of the exhaust pipe and even then it is rarely as effective as they say. If at least one side of your flanges are intact, you can get any nuts and bolts from Home Depot or any hardware store so long as they fit in the holes.

Yeah if possible try and get some bolts and some fat washers.

I didn't know you could get metal zip ties, but I could see how that would work if you drill some new holes in the flange.

Otherwise there must be someone out there with a stock exhaust they red to get rid of just taking up space.

Looks like the flanges are shot. Haven't used these split flanges myself but looks like this would be the correct answer. Add a couple of bolts to bolt them together.

https://www.google.com/search?q=split+flange+exhaust&client=ms-android-lge-rev1&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigxPekwqvgAhWKrVkKHaU2Ba4Q_AUoAnoECAwQAg

I don't know if you could get a drill and drill bit in there, but if the replacement flange idea doesn't work, I figure you could drill two smaller 1/8 th inch or so holes through the flange (use clamps to hold them flush so your holes line up) and get a couple of bolts from the hardware store to hold it together.This is very temp fix, enough so you can drive around without tailpipe on the ground. Also if really strapped for cash can grab a catback exhaust from no name for 150 bucks or 300.00 ish for name brand. Hope that helps.

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Brand/Torca/EasySeal-Exhaust-Clamp-Stainless-Steel

https://www.lowes.com/pd/kd-tools-automotive-exhaust-and-tailpipe-chain-type-cutter/50164797?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tah-_-google-_-pla-_-151-_-soshandtools-_-50164797-_-0&kpid&k_clickID=go_625664149_34614599710_111134285470_aud-299487635210:pla-444291441990_t_9007479&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtrX8Let4AIVQed3Ch2PZgXTEAQYASABEgI7OPD_BwE

These 2 items will fix your exhaust. Using the pipe cutter, cut just beyond the welds at each flange (dont attempt to cut through the weld). Remove any excess metal or burrs from each end. I recommend that specific clamp because its stainless, wide enough to fill the gap between the 2 pipes, strong enough to last a long time and best of all, it will pull itself air tight around the pipes.

I have literally done this exact same exhaust fix numerous times because its the cheapest option for people. You can really crank on the clamp bolts so use a gun and hit it until you see the clamp mold itself around the pipes.

Archived