LegacyGT.com

Upgrade 5th Gen Silver trim to Black? Fitment

Hi guys, long time lurker from Australia, first time poster and all that jazz.

My wife owns a 2009(MY10) 5th Gen Liberty and it's become the daily and the M3 F80 is the weekend driver. We are very tired of the ugly silver trim and we want to get it upgraded to the nicer black finish, and freshen things up a little.

Subaru can get them for us, but they're saying it may not fit but from my calculations the dimensions are exactly the same between 2009 and 2013 models so I don't see any reason as to why it wouldn't fit?

Our stereo will be gone and be replaced with the newer versions of the floating display from Alpine that will be out in a few months, so we want to get the interior refreshed with the black brushed trim pieces.

I've attached photos of what we want changed.

The trim pieces we want to upgraded is numbered.

B9-B5029-A-4642-457-A-A874-75-BC3-FCABDD4.jpg

How our current interior pieces look like.

EImDqQB.jpg

So as you can see, it's virtually identical. So would there be any issues with fitment?

I dont think there will be any problems.

Climate control panel is matching black too, and there are a few versions with different button layouts.

In our market the Si drive knob in the center console was replaced with the park brake button during the black trim update. But its in a pod that will fit in the new console with no problems.

I found a black used climate control in black in excellent condition for cheap but I haven’t bought it yet as I want to make sure the new trim pieces would fit even if it’s from a newer model? The connections would be the same wouldn’t it?

I had just assumed that if the button layout is the same it would probably have the same connections. Good idea to confirm that first.

As far as fitting the dash they look to be pretty much identical and IMO they will interchange just fine.

The dash bezel should be a straight swap. Other than the color, they did not change the shape of this bezel at all. The middle section has a few different bits that can go in it but they're all the same shape/size and can be disconnected from the bezel on the back side.

The only difference is this bezel is slightly different shape for RHD and LHD, which also renders the black versions of the bezel unusable for USDM cars. The little pointed tip near the steering wheel is on the other side for LHD.

I found a black used climate control in black in excellent condition for cheap but I haven’t bought it yet as I want to make sure the new trim pieces would fit even if it’s from a newer model? The connections would be the same wouldn’t it?

Do you know the subaru part number for the black climate controls?

Humble, we are LHD and the black bezels came out here with the facelift. I didnt know the US never got the black bezels.

Someone posted a Mexico-market 5th gen and they looked JDM/EDM-like and they probably got them too.

US didn't get barely anything up-market for the 5th gen. And yeah, Mexico got JDM/EDM equivalent, but I wish there was a Yahoo.jp auctions equivalent for Mexican parts, but the Mexican internet feels like the wild unexplored frontier. Is there a Philippines equivalent of a Subaru parts site or an ebay/yahoo.jp auctions type thing? Would love to source a black LHD bezel, never actually seen one.

Do you know the subaru part number for the black climate controls?

No I don't sorry. Once I buy one I will post it up.

The dash bezel should be a straight swap. Other than the color, they did not change the shape of this bezel at all. The middle section has a few different bits that can go in it but they're all the same shape/size and can be disconnected from the bezel on the back side..

Thanks for the reply! I thought as much that it's going to be the same but had to make sure first. I asked Subaru Australia to get the parts for me but they're making it difficult stating I need the actual Part# for both pieces for them to find it in black :confused:

I'm sure their catalogue would mention if it's silver or black, for navigation screens, or for standard stereo. Not sure what is so difficult about that

OP, Ive had a look at the dealer parts catalog for someone here asking about the handbrake switch for post facelifts. It didnt list those parts as black or silver IIRC.

You can ask the dealer to look up the parts by year model, thats how we went about it with the local parts guy. Look up a pre facelift and a post facelift year and they should have different part numbers. Then google often has pictures you can google the numbers you get to confirm.

Humble, nope, no Subaru parts website and no useful auction sites. There's ebay.ph but nothing really worthwhile there. Olx.ph is the local Craigslist equivalent but I doubt they would ship internationally and there are scammers too. And hardly any Legacy parts as they werent really popular here too.

Most decent parts are in the FB groups but they are usually closed groups.

I think I posted interior pics of a black trim LHD Legacy in someone's handbrake switch relocation thread here.

Looks like my local Subaru has me sorted! Needs payment upfront and it will be coming from Japan with a 2 week wait not too bad. It’ll cost $400 in total.

Scubaboo, yeah I ended up giving him a VIN number of a 2013 model I found on a car sales website with the exact trim I need and he found it. I’m taking my car there on Monday anyway for the EPB recall, and get a new airbag (for the second time lol) put in so will have a chat with the guy from the parts department in person.

Now I need one of these in black lol.

26-B70-A10-090-F-4-A33-B460-6-BD321-D8-BAC9.jpg?dl=1

945-A3-FC9-B4-E6-4277-AD01-113-BA0226720.jpg?dl=1

Archived