LegacyGT.com

Clutch noise questions

I have been in this forum for almost 2 years now and learned a number of things about our 5th gens in general but also other car stuff. I am now looking for some advice, help, and direction to find source of a sound and a leak.

Let’s start with the leak. There is a bit of oil and dirt mix residue on the driver side of the trans. It starts on the opposite side of the shift linkage. But it does Not continue all the way to the drive shaft. I have examined my axel boots for holes (none), no oil out of the block (thank you God), and no oil drips on the ground of any sort.

I am unclear of where the fluid is coming from. Does anybody have any advice of what this may be?

I also have a sound/sounds coming from the trans and clutch. Mostly on startup and as the car warms up. It sounds like a bad bearing from my research. It gets louder when I push in the clutch like rough surface metal grinding together, and gets softer as I take my foot off the clutch. The grinding sound gets quieter as the car warms up and as I drive. The clutch feels fairly normal, and hasn’t changed of what I can tell. But I do notice the metal on metal sound as soon as I put pressure on the clutch pedal sometimes when I’m sitting at a light (small example).

I am looking for thoughts and advice of what else to look at other troubleshooting. All help is appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been in this forum for almost 2 years now and learned a number of things about our 5th gens in general but also other car stuff. I am now looking for some advice, help, and direction to find source of a sound and a leak.

Let’s start with the leak. There is a bit of oil and dirt mix residue on the driver side of the trans. It starts on the opposite side of the shift linkage. But it does Not continue all the way to the drive shaft. I have examined my axel boots for holes (none), no oil out of the block (thank you God), and no oil drips on the ground of any sort.

I am unclear of where the fluid is coming from. Does anybody have any advice of what this may be?

I also have a sound/sounds coming from the trans and clutch. Mostly on startup and as the car warms up. It sounds like a bad bearing from my research. It gets louder when I push in the clutch like rough surface metal grinding together, and gets softer as I take my foot off the clutch. The grinding sound gets quieter as the car warms up and as I drive. The clutch feels fairly normal, and hasn’t changed of what I can tell. But I do notice the metal on metal sound as soon as I put pressure on the clutch pedal sometimes when I’m sitting at a light (small example).

I am looking for thoughts and advice of what else to look at other troubleshooting. All help is appreciate.

How many miles on your car? I'm thinking throwout bearing is going bad.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I am driving a 2.5 6mt. I just crossed over 134k on my way to work the other day. I figured it was a TOB but you guys have more knowledge than I.

I guess that raises a bigger question. What can I do to upgrade the clutch setup? I can guess that there isn’t much need to upgrade an NA 2.5 6mt at this point. I drive mostly highway miles but some stop and go daily on my way home. I have seen exedy clutch kits. I could go stock and be fine but is there an cost worthy upgrade from that basic stock clutch replacement?

Thank you guys for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I am driving a 2.5 6mt. I just crossed over 134k on my way to work the other day. I figured it was a TOB but you guys have more knowledge than I.

I guess that raises a bigger question. What can I do to upgrade the clutch setup? I can guess that there isn’t much need to upgrade an NA 2.5 6mt at this point. I drive mostly highway miles but some stop and go daily on my way home. I have seen exedy clutch kits. I could go stock and be fine but is there an cost worthy upgrade from that basic stock clutch replacement?

allegedly the base exedy clutch is actually exactly the same as the OEM clutch since they are the OEM supplier. at least thats what I've heard and its pretty reasonably priced http://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-oem/exedy-oem-replacement-clutch-kit/fjk1004/i-2295567.aspx

Are there any bandaid alternatives that I can use till I am able to get the money to fix my setup. I figure since I’m either gonna fix it myself or mechanic do it, I might as well replace the whole setup right?

Clutch kit, TOB, maybe the fork, and fork pivot, possible flywheel. Has anybody attempted to do this in their own garage with no lift?

Nope no band aids when it comes to the TOB, it's literally a ticking time bomb before it blows up in the bell house causing more damage. If you need more time to save, then just replace the TOB for now.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I haven't done it this way myself, but it sounds like you can split the engine and trans in the car and shove the trans back about 6". It'd be snug, but you can do it without having to pull the engine, drop the transmission, or remove axle shafts. With the 5th-gen's unique mounting, you may have to remove the transmission mounts entirely (rather than just unbolting one side), and you'd have to cobble together a spreader bar to hold up the back of the engine (a 2x4 and some chain will work). You'll also need to disconnect the shift linkage, drop the driveshaft, maybe drop some exhaust components, and basically get rid of any other stuff that's in the way of the transmission or preventing you from moving it back.