LegacyGT.com

Airbag recall expanded on 1/9

I was checking to see if parts were available yet for the parking brake actuator on subaru.com and noticed I now have 3 open recalls - the third being the Takata airbag actuator. Note says they have added all vehicles purchased or registered in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia" - it says there will be a staged mailing, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Is it just the passenger side airbag for us, or is it both?

still have to do the wiper recall... I'll probably have them do that one when they do the parking brake

I received a notification about this from MyCARFAX. I was surprised because I’m pretty sure already had the passenger airbag replaced during the previous recall. I’m going to wait to receive the letter in the mail then call my local dealer for clarification as to whether it needs replacement a second time.

it drives me crazy the way they are rolling this out. i had my car at the dealer last year for the wiper motor and i told them "you're sure my car isn't on the takata recall list, because a lot of cars like mine are included" "no no your safe"... bullshit, they are crossing there fingers and hoping noone dies so they can do a slow roll out and not be inundated with recall work. pretty disgusting for a brand that so heavily leans on its reputation for safety

it drives me crazy the way they are rolling this out. i had my car at the dealer last year for the wiper motor and i told them "you're sure my car isn't on the takata recall list, because a lot of cars like mine are included" "no no your safe"... bullshit, they are crossing there fingers and hoping noone dies so they can do a slow roll out and not be inundated with recall work. pretty disgusting for a brand that so heavily leans on its reputation for safety

To be fair the issue that began the recall (shrapnel from airbag activation) hasn't actually affected Subarus, only Honda's they just happen to use the same ignitor manufacturer. Yes better safe than sorry, but the dealer can only tell you what they know. Did you check your VIN on the Subaru sight at the time initial recall letters were going out? Also, if your car is affected you are entitled to a loaner from Subaru until the recall is performed.

when they first started recalling the vehicles, they said it would be from more hot and humid climates first, so they are now getting to the southern states, I guess - if anything, I was surprised it was so soon - I figured another couple years before New Mexico would be recalled...

The one with no parts yet that worries me more is the parking brake actuator.

To be fair the issue that began the recall (shrapnel from airbag activation) hasn't actually affected Subarus, only Honda's they just happen to use the same ignitor manufacturer. Yes better safe than sorry, but the dealer can only tell you what they know. Did you check your VIN on the Subaru sight at the time initial recall letters were going out? Also, if your car is affected you are entitled to a loaner from Subaru until the recall is performed.

I question your logic,

good luck with getting a loaner... most dealers do not have enough to cover most of their heavy work....

it's just easier to keep people out of the front passenger seat in said car.

good luck with getting a loaner... most dealers do not have enough to cover most of their heavy work....

it's just easier to keep people out of the front passenger seat in said car.

They are provided through SOA, if the dealer doesn't have one available then you should be able to get a rental, at least that is what they were doing here.

there are other things to consider in regards to getting loaner

1. do you really want your car sitting unattended in a dealer lot for quite a bit of time?

2. how are you going to prove any damage caused by them.

3. what happens when someone comes by and vandalizes cars on the lot and yours is one of them?

when Subaru issued a recall for my 2003, I told the wife why she had to sit in the back seat and showed her the letter, absolutely no complaints from her... Now she has to do the same when she rides in the 2014 car...which ironically was not supposed to have any Takata airbags...

• 2 weeks later...
They are provided through SOA, if the dealer doesn't have one available then you should be able to get a rental, at least that is what they were doing here.

I got to rock a Mkz for a whole week. Almost wanted Subaru to keep my car.

I and my wife received the notices for each of the two Subarus in our family. My wife acted almost immediately upon receiving the recall notice for my her 2010 Forester since her car is so heavily relied upon, for her commute and transport of her elderly mom to-from appointments, while my (for sale) Legacy sits unused (due to me driving my company car 95% of the time) and also I'm laid-up post surgery for now unable to drive. Anyway, she booked the recall appointment with an untried dealership (in Natick, MA) for the recall job - simply as a matter of convenient access. Mind you, her 2010 Foz has <40k miles on it and the only thing it really needs is front brake service (due to pedal travel, no grind or vibes).

They took advantage of her and began trying to "up-sell" a number of things despite the car needing airbag only. They succeeded in up-selling an unnecessary replacement of the power steering belt for $100 and then she called me when they told her about the (already known condition in the) front brakes. They succeeded in scaring the crap out of her - took me about 20 minutes to talk her down.

A few days after, the new power steering belt installation squealed crazily on a cold start and announced itself repeatedly later in the next two days, and then she told me about it. I sent her on Saturday morning to a local (trusted) shop for new front brakes and for a look at the new power steering belt. They confirmed the poor workmanship of belt installation (loose, misaligned) and suggested that this was a set-up to cause further accessory damage and to create more opportunity to up-sell. Apparently an attempt to scam, I called that dealer to provide feedback. Today I will contact the service manager to arrange for repayment of the service dollars spent to have the power steering belt corrected. I was angry...still am...but now that the matter was corrected and no damage has resulted (knock wood) it's just a matter of collecting on a workmanship guaranty.

Moral: Remain knowledgable of your vehicle service status, stay with "the devil you know" for performance of services and be explicit when dealing with service "advisors" who generally have no real hands-on technical experience/knowledge.

I and my wife received the notices for each of the two Subarus in our family. My wife acted almost immediately upon receiving the recall notice for my her 2010 Forester since her car is so heavily relied upon, for her commute and transport of her elderly mom to-from appointments, while my (for sale) Legacy sits unused (due to me driving my company car 95% of the time) and also I'm laid-up post surgery for now unable to drive. Anyway, she booked the recall appointment with an untried dealership (in Natick, MA) for the recall job - simply as a matter of convenient access. Mind you, her 2010 Foz has <40k miles on it and the only thing it really needs is front brake service (due to pedal travel, no grind or vibes).

They took advantage of her and began trying to "up-sell" a number of things despite the car needing airbag only. They succeeded in up-selling an unnecessary replacement of the power steering belt for $100 and then she called me when they told her about the (already known condition in the) front brakes. They succeeded in scaring the crap out of her - took me about 20 minutes to talk her down.

A few days after, the new power steering belt installation squealed crazily on a cold start and announced itself repeatedly later in the next two days, and then she told me about it. I sent her on Saturday morning to a local (trusted) shop for new front brakes and for a look at the new power steering belt. They confirmed the poor workmanship of belt installation (loose, misaligned) and suggested that this was a set-up to cause further accessory damage and to create more opportunity to up-sell. Apparently an attempt to scam, I called that dealer to provide feedback. Today I will contact the service manager to arrange for repayment of the service dollars spent to have the power steering belt corrected. I was angry...still am...but now that the matter was corrected and no damage has resulted (knock wood) it's just a matter of collecting on a workmanship guaranty.

Moral: Remain knowledgable of your vehicle service status, stay with "the devil you know" for performance of services and be explicit when dealing with service "advisors" who generally have no real hands-on technical experience/knowledge.

Subaru's service department is sub par, every time i have gotten my car back from any of the local dealers it was not clean....and this last time my charger was missing....

I do all my own maintenance work. They always try to upsell me some service when I am getting recalls. It is a little frustrating, because they are trying to recommend services or repairs that I don't need or aren't urgent at the time. I can see where uniformed consumers could fall for the repair. What I found funny is they tried to sell me a brake fluid flush on my Legacy which was flush about 25K miles earlier. When I brought my Outback in they didn't even notice the brake fluid which was way overdue and maybe original at 115k miles. I wonder if the mechanic doesn't really do the inspection and its just the service desk picking random services that could be applicable because they don't show up in the service history.

Subaru's service department is sub par, every time i have gotten my car back from any of the local dealers it was not clean....and this last time my charger was missing....

Funny you mention this. Last night I noticed a scratch on the center console, shift boot was pulled down off the shifter, and the passenger side panel of the center console was popped out. I called the dealership today about the scratch figuring noting would happen. After sending a couple pics, they let me know they are going to replace the cover. I was honestly shocked. I think I'm going to install it myself. Much less stress that way.

IMG_5545.thumb.JPG.f30eb729bbd5f8c784849c7e7ea72232.JPG

IMG_5547.thumb.JPG.fb61d551c4ef2626d965f4c77795dc61.JPG

You get more bees with honey...

Despite my anger, I was able to deal with the service manager in a professional way. The manager continued his insistence of "policy" in offering to provide a $25 service/parts credit at his dealership while I countered with the simpler desire to be repaid for the $20 "fan belt service" incurred at my shop. I was able to convey my lack of confidence in their ability to satisfy my expectations of trustworthy workmanship due to the nature of their flub. After redacting the receipt from my shop, left showing only the $20 service line-item (but with a total for services of 20 times that), I scanned and emailed the receipt. He called to advise that I should not have covered the other charges on the receipt, that it only made his job harder, but that he was going to HR to have them cut me a check for $20 and to expect it in the mail in a few days (we'll see). Why do I still feel like this was not a "win"?

Archived