LegacyGT.com

Loss of power after clutch job

Hello everybody

Just had a clutch job (whole STI setup incl flywheel) in my 2008 Spec.b.

After a few days (I baby it a few times rarely exceding 2500 RPM) i took it for a little more. After a while I noticed big jerkiness about 4000 and above a couple of times. We got a lot of snow on the road so I thought maybe a patch of ice but the light on the dash never lit. I took it on the HWY & noticed immediately big jerks after 4000 rpm through 5000 no pull at all, on slight uphill in six I couldn't pass 120km/h (!). Did that a few times & finally got 'chck engine' light (car automatically switch from SportSharp to Sport).

After a while light went off and I could switch on SportSharp again & went home. So what did they could f...ck up on the job like this? Obviously the turbo is not working properly (car was perfectly running before). I can read myself any codes hopefully they will. And lastly engine sound normal so I don't think the turbo is shut at all. Freaking disappointed after spending that kind of money. (STI clutch is awesome BTW:)).

Anybody can help?

Need the codes to point in the right direction.

I would guess that something didn’t get put back together right and is leaking. TB hose, vacuum hose, something like that is hopefully your culprit.

Thanks for a quick response.

I run through codes on dash & I went through 3 readouts: ABS fail code C0071, EGI Fail Code P____, TCU Fail Code P. The third code was 'flashing'.

What is the year/model etc of what you are driving?

Might be some things didn’t get plugged back in. Either need to do a close inspection of the engine bay and transmission or take it back to them to fix depending how you feel about them.

It's 2008 Legacy GT spec.b. For now there's no other choice for me but take it back to them. It's a main Subaru dealer in town. It's already -22C and overnight will drop to almost -30C. I can do visual check in the garage but right now that's all I can do.

Somewhere in Canada?

How did you guess?:lol:

A little update. Took the car for a little spin today in the morning. It looks like it starts to hesitate a little about 3.5 and more about 4k passed that there's little boost (floored it in 4th and it took forever to pass 5k). I think turbo is OK because I feel it starts spooling but then hesitates and basically cuts off. Almost certain it must be a boost leak somewhere. I also noticed a little uneven iddling on a coupple ocasion today. Otherwise car seems fine if I take it easy (did not have CEL today). I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow.:mad:

OK guys. Today finally driving to work I got CEL thrown & flashing cruise control. The error code is P0172. These are the possibilities: Faulty front heated oxygen sensor, Ignition misfiring, Faulty fuel injectors, Exhaust gas leaks, Incorrect fuel pressure, Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Now considering that the car was running perfect before the clutch job it should be easy to at least eliminate a few.

Thanks. For now I will visually check MAF & connection (never know). Other things at least for now can be put aside. For me this look like a classic case of a boost leak. I'll take the car to the dealership & make them do a boost leak pressure test.

Archived