LegacyGT.com

Weird Squeal Sound Like a Dry Bearing

So my son has a 2011 Legacy 3.6 Limited that makes a squeal kind of noise on start up. Had it at the local dealer awhile ago and a couple of mechanics were standing outside so I asked them what they thought it was. They said it sounded like either the idler puller or tensioner. Said they were bad to squeal when they get a few miles on them. It has like 55,000 miles on it. So I blindly buy a Subaru idler pulley AND tensioner and a new belt. Installed them today and it still squeals. CRAP! Listened closely and it actually sounds like it's more coming from the backside of the engine on the drivers side.

Anybody had this problem in the 6 cylinder or have any suggestions on what it might be? It does have that dry bearing/belt sound. Thanks guys!

Is it an angry shriek that goes away suddenly within half a second or so? If so, good chance it's the Bendix gear on the starter motor not disengaging from the flywheel right away, which isn't terribly uncommon. Mine does it every once in a while, too, usually when it's cold out. I recall seeing a pretty good guide on here somewhere about rebuilding the starter motor, one of these days I'll follow it...

Is it an angry shriek that goes away suddenly within half a second or so? If so, good chance it's the Bendix gear on the starter motor not disengaging from the flywheel right away, which isn't terribly uncommon. Mine does it every once in a while, too, usually when it's cold out. I recall seeing a pretty good guide on here somewhere about rebuilding the starter motor, one of these days I'll follow it...

That's it! Will try and find it. Thanks!

Pretty common issue, mine does it as well. Take the starter out and lube up the bendix shaft and it should be good to go until the next time.

Mine does it as well ever-so-often. Didn't realize it could be lubed up. When I get around to swapping in a new PCV I'll try to do it.

Mine does in the cold as well. I haven't been driving my car much, so I will tackle that job when the weather is nicer. My 2.5i Outback does it too, so I am going to get some experience with these starters. I am planning to pull the starter apart.

Mine does in the cold as well. I haven't been driving my car much, so I will tackle that job when the weather is nicer. My 2.5i Outback does it too, so I am going to get some experience with these starters. I am planning to pull the starter apart.

My 2010 Outback did this and since it had the extended warranty I took it to the dealer. They replaced the starter. Easiest starter replacement ever :)

Archived