LegacyGT.com

Mating motor to trans. 5eat

So i am currently mating the motor to the trans but having a hell of a time lining it up. When i pulled it the TC was attached to motor so when putting it back in i attached it to the flex plate. Now im thinking i should have put it in the bell housing first. Which way is the best way to do it? Thanks.

Go find the “vacation pics” aka Service Manual for reinstalling the torque converter. Not sure about Subaru, but 30yrs ago I screwed up a Ford automatic by trying to attach the torque converter to the flex plate and installing it that way. There was a procedure to fit it to the tranny, then bolt to the flexplate through the access hole after mating the tranny to the engine.

Go find the “vacation pics” aka Service Manual for reinstalling the torque converter. Not sure about Subaru, but 30yrs ago I screwed up a Ford automatic by trying to attach the torque converter to the flex plate and installing it that way. There was a procedure to fit it to the tranny, then bolt to the flexplate through the access hole after mating the tranny to the engine.

This is the correct way. Dont forget a little locktite on the TC bolts.

Archived