LegacyGT.com

2006 Subaru legacy 2.5i engine swap to gt motor

Will a gt motor bolt on to my transmission? I have the stock 2.5i na motor currently but needs to be replaced I know about the ecu and everything else just not sure if it will bolt onto my transmission. And does anyone have a motor for my car possibly if it doesn't bolt on or anyone have a gt motor willing to sell?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah it bolts on, but then you need a Crossmember to fit the up pipe. Good luck sourcing the parts. Personally I'd look at getting a donor car that's been wrecked.

Crossmembers are easy to come by and easy to swap. I wouldn’t consider that to be a major obstacle.

Electronics and wiring however are most people’s weak point. If this is something that is not understood, a successful swap will be a significant challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
Crossmembers are easy to come by and easy to swap. I wouldn’t consider that to be a major obstacle.

Electronics and wiring however are most people’s weak point. If this is something that is not understood, a successful swap will be a significant challenge.

Now to I need to retune the ecu if I'm just able to swap ecu's as well?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's the deal; If you want to go from the SOHC N/A EJ253 to the Turbo DOHC EJ255 out of the Legacy GT or otherwise you'll need to do a complete harness swap. It's not very straightforward. You will have to remove the dashboard, you will have to remove the heater core unit, you will have to remove the steering support beam.

You will need:

1. A Legacy GT ECU *MATCHED* to a Legacy GT Body Integrated Unit and ideally matched to a Legacy GT steering column with an Immobilizer key antenna on the ignition switch. Additionally a set of keys matched to the ECU. (There are other options if you cannot find a matched set, however if you're not good at soldering, I wouldn't risk it)

2. A Legacy GT bulkhead harness (can be purchased brand new from Subaru for ~$500)

3. A Legacy GT/Outback XT turbo crossmember

4. All of the proper Oxygen senors, the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor, and the Legacy GT transmission harness (both for the Reverse and neutral sensors,and the lower O2 sensors)

5. A proper exhaust that links up to your downpipe.

6. A Legacy GT/OBXT/STi/WRX exhaust manifold (headers)

7. A turbo Subaru Up-pipe and downpipe.

8. A turbocharger (preferably an IHI VF40 or VF46 so you do not have to retune the ECU)

9. A Legacy GT intake box and tube to the engine's inlet.

10. A Legacy GT Plastic manifold EJ255 (can be found on eBay, but DO NOT buy an EJ20Y/X unless you want to add a few more steps to the above process).

All that being said, mechanically everything will bolt up. I had a Legacy GT transmission in my 2.5i with an 06 WRX clutch and lightweight flywheel. The N/A transmission will bolt up to the turbo engine without issue as long as you get the flywheel/clutch setup correct.