LegacyGT.com

Tysparks81 Spec. B Project Log

Damn. Alright, that's what I was afraid of. I have the complete lower EDM dash and some things just aren't lining up.

Hi. Both tysparks and I have done the swap. There's two parts that you'll need from USDM cars:

1) The USDM glovebox

2) The driver's side trim (that holds the switches for the mirrors ...etc) from a facelift '08/'09.

You can use the EDM piece for #2 but I would highly recommend against it because you will need to remove a safety plate behind it.

Hi. Both tysparks and I have done the swap. There's two parts that you'll need from USDM cars:

1) The USDM glovebox

2) The driver's side trim (that holds the switches for the mirrors ...etc) from a facelift '08/'09.

You can use the EDM piece for #2 but I would highly recommend against it because you will need to remove a safety plate behind it.

I used the EDM drivers side panel and left the usdm safety plate behind it

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

I used the EDM drivers side panel and left the usdm safety plate behind it

Yeah I was able to get the Driver's side on with a fight without removing the safety plate. But the passenger side stumped me and I was getting ready to have to cut the dash supports out. :spin:

With the center console, did yours come with the bracket to bolt to the sides? Mine unfortunately did not and I'm not sure if the USDM will work.

Yeah I was able to get the Driver's side on with a fight without removing the safety plate. But the passenger side stumped me and I was getting ready to have to cut the dash supports out. :spin:

With the center console, did yours come with the bracket to bolt to the sides? Mine unfortunately did not and I'm not sure if the USDM will work.

USDM will not work unfortunately as the mount points are different. The only way I can see it working is if you decide to drill through.

USDM will not work unfortunately as the mount points are different. The only way I can see it working is if you decide to drill through.

Damn, well that is unfortunate. I may have to just make my own mount, or contact my parts guy in the UK and see if he can help.

Time really does fly when your having fun!

Well I know I said engine refresh rebuild wasn't a priority but.....things started to fall into place and I'm of the opinion if you are going to do it, then do it right the first time. So if you are interested in the specific details of what is being built head over to this thread.

But I'll get back to that in a little bit.

Baby girl turned 1 a few weeks ago, which was awesome but unfortunately someone backed into my car and drove off. Messed up my driver side fender, bumper & light. I tracked the person down and they did take care of the cost of my repairs.

It has since been fixed and I decided to install some washer headlights, I didn't run the hoses to them although I do have them & a washer bottle with three pumps that I will probably install sometime this summer.

50932265413_88bbe015dd_h.jpg

While the car was in for paint, I had the body shop paint the rear duckbill that I have been sitting on for years now, and that will probably also get installed in the spring/summer.

50935788043_53a75fa13a_h.jpg

I tried to use a stopleak for the HG issue I was having but it hasn't resolved the issue so I feel like the motor is on borrowed time at this point and decided to over build it so I can make the power I make now reliably with piece of mind, but also gives me room to grow in a year or two when I decide I want more power. I know I would need a bigger turbo, larger injectors, and some type of dual in tank pump setup. But I am going to see what the limits of JMP custom VF52 is capable of first and then I will skip down the rabbit hole in search of more power.

I decided to pick up a used EJ255 and got Outfront Motorsports to do its v3 closed decking service on it. This thing is a work of art.

50936554092_ddf3ea5777_c.jpg

In the next month or so it will be dropped in and started with a base tune from Dave @ cryo.

In the mean time I also started doing the black upper interior trim. I finished trimming the roof liner & re-upholstered the A pillars, spray painted the b & c pillar, and I'm just waiting for a warm enough day to clear coat them. Before I strip and clean the interior in prep for this install.

50926476572_1cd8668f59_b.jpg

Will also be swapping out the front subframe for a clean one since my front swaybar bracket bolts snapped off in them and I don't feel like spending hours under the car drilling them out when I can just bolt them up on a new subframe.

What material did you use for the headliner?

What material did you use for the headliner?

It was some OEM headliner material that Madrig had sourced a few years ago not sure if he has any more or knows where to get it still.

• 2 weeks later...

We had some nice weather this weekend so I decided to wash the car, and threw on the JDM red rear garnish that I had sitting around. Its growing on me I wasn't a huge fan of it when I first installed it but its growing on me.

51017011256_aeb791e110_h.jpg

51017012521_c984fd904a_h.jpg

No motor updates as I am just waiting on the upgraded head parts to come in.

But it looks like the motor will get installed next month if those parts get here within the next week or two.

Did you ever change the beam pattern from JDM to left hand drive for your headlights? And did you get the washers to work?

I didn't swap them as it was a rush to get them into the car. I have one passenger side LHD(EDM) washer headlight and the drivers side I received was unfortunately a JDM headlight, so I have ordered another drivers side LHD(EDM) washer headlight, and will swap out both bi-Zenon cut-offs when the drivers side gets here.

I haven't wired in the washers, but I have the lines and spare washer bottle with three pump. So I will run the lines this summer when pull the headlights to swap out the cut-offs

Oh come on man! :)

Has to be one of these countries with mountains and snow, like in Scandinavia, Russia, Poland, and parts of Germany, maybe Italy. Most of the rest of Europe never really bothered buying Subies.

You forgot France, and there are a handful of other countries that drive left hand drive vehicles I spent months on each countries ebay site since they are location specific. But you also need to know the different names.

Subaru Legacy bL or BP (JDM)

Subaru Legacy Estate (EDM)

Shipping makes this almost not worth it most times, but sometimes you come across guys across the ocean that are willing to help.

I actually lived in France back in 2012-2014. Subarus are rare there though. You may have a bit more of them closer to the mountains. Other than that, they prefer their Peugeot and Renault. I dare say they look better too :spin:

Yeah, I also spent times on their respective ebay sites. I mostly find stuff on the German, Switzerland, and Poland sites. But have not looked for a long time now.

Nice build.

Thanks still lots to come.

may I ask where you got the wing, and did you have more pics with different angles?

The rear duck bill I got from VG tuning in russia, and the rear roof spoiler I got from Yahoo Japan auctions.

• 2 months later...

So where to start.

Had to replace the hood latch due to the hood not closing and had to pick up a lot of extra parts that I didn't consider when I decided that I wanted this motor to be as drop-in ready as possible.

But haven't been able to do much else, was helping the wife with a side business for the last couple of months which she has decided not to continue doing, which should free of some of my time moving forward.

Had way too many shipping related issues with getting parts shipped in to me, and will not only never use UPS if I have a choice but will pay more to have things shipped by any other shipping company, but that is a topic for another day.

There were other avoidable delays unfortunately with a lot of back and forth with getting the motor assembled partially because I supplied the engine builder with an NA timing kit because it is what I was given by accident from one of my parts suppliers. I blame myself for not checking the part numbers as it cost me a whole lot of time and a whole lot of extra trips back and forth between my parts guy, me and my engine builder who is over a 2hr round trip. So we did that dance for probably a month and every week it was something different, so I can understand my engine builders frustration, and I think he understood mine. Which is why I have nothing but good things to say about the work I paid for but also feel like things could have been very much improved from a customer service perspective. But here is the nearly complete assembled product.

51180420888_ba172ec4ea_b.jpg

I need to take a moment to not only tell you why Massiwarrior is an amazing stand up guy, and just an overall nice guy all around ......except when he's being an xbox fan boy. :p but I won't give him to much grief for that. As he is someone I am very happy to call a close friend.

Thank you bud!

He has been an amazing help and I don't think I would have been finished this soon if it wasn't for him. Supplying me with spare parts, the ideas and discussions back and forth over my goals for this, even giving me tips on how to get out of the dog house with the wife after I have made questionable choices depending on how you look at it. :lol:

Now he was already doing me a solid by coming to pick me up from the shop after I had dropped off the assembled motor. But when the engine builder refused/protested about me putting the motor in my back seat or trunk he came out of his way pick up the engine and drop it off at the shop for me.

51190807724_4b1e579dfa_c.jpg

So now that the motor has been at the shop they timed it, transferred over all of my fuel lines, intake manifold, TVG deletes, fixed my front swaybar bracket and installed the whiteline fsb. Ended up installing the rear one as well while they had the car, and are currently doing cam break-in followed by engine break-in, and then installing the rear duckbill for me.

51190857479_c93d322607_h.jpg

But during the install I was made aware that the stock uppipe was cracked,

51190695074_5f601f4fd5_c.jpg

So I guess its time to replace it. First one was 2.5"(or a big tube uppipe) second one fit just right but don't have any pics of it.

51180990769_ce2c98ec72_c.jpg

So basemap was loaded onto the AP, and its alive. Looks like I will be picking up the car sometime between tomorrow & sat.

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/51190143218/fe156febcc/720p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MTE5MDE0MzIxOCwiZSI6MTYyMTQ1ODI1MywicyI6IjIyZTliOTg5ZmVlYmMyMmM0ZTg2MGIzN2RiNTRjZmFhY2EwOWIzMzIiLCJ2IjoxfQ

I have a dyno tune scheduled for June 23rd, but I may go with an Etuner since I have been really happy with the Results I have gotten from my previous one.