LegacyGT.com

5EAT Stalling, Yet again

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update #??

Annnnndddd it came back on lol. So weird. Drove it 45 miles parked and left it parked for 3 hours. Started it to move it and it was cold and no CEL. Drove it for about 2-3 minutes. Started the car again after few hours let it completely warm up and then drove it for 5 mins and it came back on... is it bad if I just remove the filter completely?

And no I did not swap the solenoid for my old one just yet.

Did you replace both OCV's? I was getting P021 and cylinder 1 and 3 misfires, stalling at stops and hesitation under 2k. Replaced both OCV's, reset the ECU and the car runs like new again.

Will upload pic, the filter on driver side was filthy so removed it. Feels the same but haven’t driven it far. The one on the other side of the oil line (behind timing cover) has not been done.

Previous owner of your car? Previous owner of the engine?

Yes and some car in Japan. Ej20x head and block with 65-75k miles. The shop that did my engine said the timing belt and timing cover is in good condition.

Pesky banjo filter causing leak on driver side top near OCV valve. CEL was reset and has not come back on from the 45 mile drive home the other day. Confirmed that the filter behind timing cover is also clogged and causing leak. Will be removing that soon. Passenger side looks brand new, so I will not be touching that. No visible leak and no visible leak from the turbo banjo bolt.

IMG_0976.thumb.jpg.4013ba57e9a6ef163e6367a1afa5f8b2.jpg

IMG_0977.thumb.jpg.3dcfa130f097eec0ecb9ea67984166e5.jpg

Someone help me please..I started the car this morning no CEL. Drove it to work was fine. Left work started it no CEL and while driving home it came back on..it comes and goes as it pleases..WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON? I am going mad with this car.

If the CEL is coming and going, it sounds like things are borderline, you're right on the edge of what's required to set the CEL. The fluctuating oil temperature and viscosity could be having an affect too, not sure.

"Confirmed that the filter behind timing cover is also clogged and causing leak. Will be removing that soon."

I'm no expert in this area, but it seems like that cel is triggered when the OCV isn't getting enough oil pressure. Looking at the oil flow diagram from the factory service manual, it looks like the clogged banjo bolt is what feeds that new ocv. I don't want to see you go through the money and trouble to remove that filter because of me, because I can't guarantee that will fix it. But it seems like things might not get better until that clogged filter is gone.

p0021.thumb.jpg.da8be0a328c1e1e56decd5f84d31e448.jpg

oilflowpath.thumb.jpg.bc12a52121725bcb93516f87c185a689.jpg

Sounds like you need a way to data log and see what is going on.

@whitexc what do you recommend? I am seen some but they seem very expensive. Thanks for the response :)

If the CEL is coming and going, it sounds like things are borderline, you're right on the edge of what's required to set the CEL. The fluctuating oil temperature and viscosity could be having an affect too, not sure.

"Confirmed that the filter behind timing cover is also clogged and causing leak. Will be removing that soon."

I'm no expert in this area, but it seems like that cel is triggered when the OCV isn't getting enough oil pressure. Looking at the oil flow diagram from the factory service manual, it looks like the clogged banjo bolt is what feeds that new ocv. I don't want to see you go through the money and trouble to remove that filter because of me, because I can't guarantee that will fix it. But it seems like things might not get better until that clogged filter is gone.

I agree, but it looks like a complete b to get to and I really do not wish to mess up timing or the timing belt...Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the reply :) @apexi

You should update your user profile to show your location and your vehicle ('05 LGT EJ20x swap?) or whatever it is. Who knows, maybe another member lives nearby and would be willing to help out. Another set of eyes is never a bad thing.

You need a scanner, even a cheapo or go to a parts store while the light is on. If it is, don't even shut the car off - go in and ask them to scan it. As stated in another post, retrieve the code(s) and do not buy anything. List your findings on here, maybe in a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.....and guys will point you in the right direction. As for logging wile driving, a laptop and some software with that cable you bought or a Cobb AP would allow you to watch various parameters while driving and you may see something that would set a light.

Apexi may be onto something. The OCV's can be new but if they are starved and or not functioning withing spec.....CEL. Only saying this due to the condition of the other filter you removed.

I feel guilty replying to this thread again when I don't have much to add, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering what kind of replacement OCV you installed, was it OEM Subaru or some other brand?

In another thread you mentioned that the ej20x engine only had 55-65k on it, so I don't know, I just wonder if the filter is really clogged. I mean, maybe your original ocv really was bad, and maybe something is off with this new one too.

I agree, but it looks like a complete b to get to and I really do not wish to mess up timing or the timing belt...Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the reply :) @apexi

The timing belt should be done on that engine as well. It may only have 65k miles, but the timing belt interval is 105 months or 105K miles. the age of the engine is well past that.

You should update your user profile to show your location and your vehicle ('05 LGT EJ20x swap?) or whatever it is. Who knows, maybe another member lives nearby and would be willing to help out. Another set of eyes is never a bad thing.

You need a scanner, even a cheapo or go to a parts store while the light is on. If it is, don't even shut the car off - go in and ask them to scan it. As stated in another post, retrieve the code(s) and do not buy anything. List your findings on here, maybe in a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.....and guys will point you in the right direction. As for logging wile driving, a laptop and some software with that cable you bought or a Cobb AP would allow you to watch various parameters while driving and you may see something that would set a light.

Apexi may be onto something. The OCV's can be new but if they are starved and or not functioning withing spec.....CEL. Only saying this due to the condition of the other filter you removed.

So I do have a scanner, just not something to data log with but I’ll try to do it with the cable I bought. Thanks for the response. Will also let you know what happens after resetting the TCU.

I feel guilty replying to this thread again when I don't have much to add, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering what kind of replacement OCV you installed, was it OEM Subaru or some other brand?

In another thread you mentioned that the ej20x engine only had 55-65k on it, so I don't know, I just wonder if the filter is really clogged. I mean, maybe your original ocv really was bad, and maybe something is off with this new one too.

Not oem. Though I still have the old OEM one. I will swap it clear the code and see if that helps. Thanks.

The timing belt should be done on that engine as well. It may only have 65k miles, but the timing belt interval is 105 months or 105K miles. the age of the engine is well past that.

Only the head and block has been replaced. When I looked at the belt it looked fine, even the shop who did my engine said the belt looks fairly new. But thanks for the suggestion l.

@whitexc what do you recommend? I am seen some but they seem very expensive. Thanks for the response :)

There are plenty of inexpensive tools out there to look at live data. The torque app and a Bluetooth adapter would probably one of the cheapest options. There are better options however.

The tool is only as good as the operator though. Whatever you get, you’re going to need to take the time to familiarize yourself with how to use it and know what you should be seeing.

As far as the oil screen behind the timing cover goes, they can be removed without any major disassembly.

Archived