LegacyGT.com

Who wants CLEAR CORNERS??

Who wants CLEAR CORNERS?

I have been in contact with Klearz and KlearzUSA (http://www.klearz.com and http://www.klearzusa.com) to produce clear front corner lenses for the 2010-2014 Legacy and they have agreed but initially require 10 sets to be purchased in order to make it worth their while to make the molds. Once the molds are made, these will be listed on their website for individuals to purchase in the future.

Sets are anticipated to cost $55-$60 plus shipping and can be clear, light smoke, dark smoke, frosted or white in color. It will take several weeks following their receipt of a set of stock lenses.

I will arrange getting them the stock lenses and a list of at least 10 committed buyers. Once they receive that, they will set up the preorders and payment with each buyer, make the molds and fulfill the orders.

PICTURED BELOW IS MY FAILED ATTEMPT TO MOLD AND CAST A CLEAR CORNER LENS.

Who is in?

We have over 10 committed buyers in the 5th Gen Facebook Group. I will add forum users to that list.

d93df38fd3d0855bd1ab63c14cf45eef.jpg31bf88a484d9ebc695b64b864b2b053f.jpg4bfc7c360c4b6fe8e7a8ae862afbf18d.jpgd59751889577e754f2b94de775d2b87b.jpg

I already committed over on the facebook group, but how are these attached? Just adhesive? I've never baked my lights open before.

They should have tabs have clip into slots on the headlight.

But seems like the prototype does not have tabs. Can you confirm if they'll have it Joe?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

They should have tabs have clip into slots on the headlight.

But seems like the prototype does not have tabs. Can you confirm if they'll have it Joe?

Ahh, dumb question on my part. Makes sense.

And I believe the prototype pictures Joe provided were actually his own attempt at molding clear markers for himself. I believe the company hasn't made a prototype yet and will once the committed buyer list is submitted.

When I did my failed attempt, I had to clip the tabs in order for my mold to release from the part. I don't know how Klearz will do it, if those tabs will be retained or if the new lenses will need to be adhered to the headlight. I will find out.

RIT fabric dye actually works pretty well on plastic, you just have to be careful to pull said plastic out of the dye bath quick enough to not turn it completely black, and immediately rinse it in clean, cold water so you don't get any spotting. Not sure what type of plastic they're using, but I know some types take the dye more quickly than others. I've dyed white delrin black (which was the goal) and smoked a piece of clear HDPE (which I cut out of a piece of plastic packaging...), but it's been a few years, so I couldn't say how long those needed to stay in the bath. Only a couple minutes, though.

Getting the lenses in the color you want on the first try is obviously the most efficient method, but if you decide they're too light for your tastes, RIT dye is cheaper than another set of lenses.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is that light smoke or clear?
Light smoke. I wanted to retain the reflective quality and was concerned that the dark smoke would not reflect enough. I will probably use a spray tint on the chrome bezel behind it to darken it a little more, but the lenses should still reflect white nicely. Edited by GTEASER

• 2 weeks later...
Can you still order them? The link above isn't working.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, they are a permanent offering. Try this link, it looks like the URL changed a bit.

http://klearzusa.com/subaru_legacy_outback