LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2017 Limited

Not a car guy, but I have a 2017 Legacy (bought from a subby dealership new) with roughly 33k miles (yeah I drive a lot) and looking for some feedback.

Located on the east coast we just got some snow and the car handled it with no issues, but when I went to use the windshield wiper I noticed no liquids coming out (which lead to a pretty scary situation with the salt/ice). Bought some fluids and went to refill and noticed the belt at the front of the engine that looks like a piece stripped away (it looks like the belt is designed to break away in pieces). Booked an appointment with a Subaru certified dealership (Not the one I bought it from because I was traveling). Dropped it off and explained the windshield first and the guy without a blink of an eye replied "probably the wind shield hose". Gave him the piece of the belt that broke off to show the issue with the belt.

Random note: I was trying to get the oil change and for whatever reason he couldnt find my maintenance plan. I had to say something or I would have had to pay out of pocket for the 33k maintenance. Thankfully he was able to find the plan after I made the comment about the plan.

So I hang out for about an hour and the service person comes back and says that he was right about the windshield hose and sadly they do not have a subaru certified belt, but they have an aftermarket belt but its not covered under the warranty (and it would take 2-3 days before they could get a belt). So wait 2-3 days or pay out of pocket (and of course he recommended that I dont drive it around with the belt like it is). That is kind of an easy decision

Paid the money got my car and went home.

TLDR: Car under manufacture warranty, had to pay for after market belt and service guy made it sound like windshield hose replacement was common

So my questions:

The windshield hose, is this something common with this model and something I need to worry about in the future?

How common is it that a dealership doesnt have subaru belts (and it takes that long to get belts) and a customer has to pay for out of pocket for a car that is under warranty?

I assume the aftermarket belt doesnt void my warranty

I also paid for the extended warranty that starts after I pass 36k

Not a car guy, but I have a 2017 Legacy (bought from a subby dealership new) with roughly 33k miles (yeah I drive a lot) and looking for some feedback.

Located on the east coast we just got some snow and the car handled it with no issues, but when I went to use the windshield wiper I noticed no liquids coming out (which lead to a pretty scary situation with the salt/ice). Bought some fluids and went to refill and noticed the belt at the front of the engine that looks like a piece stripped away (it looks like the belt is designed to break away in pieces). Booked an appointment with a Subaru certified dealership (Not the one I bought it from because I was traveling). Dropped it off and explained the windshield first and the guy without a blink of an eye replied "probably the wind shield hose". Gave him the piece of the belt that broke off to show the issue with the belt.

Random note: I was trying to get the oil change and for whatever reason he couldnt find my maintenance plan. I had to say something or I would have had to pay out of pocket for the 33k maintenance. Thankfully he was able to find the plan after I made the comment about the plan.

So I hang out for about an hour and the service person comes back and says that he was right about the windshield hose and sadly they do not have a subaru certified belt, but they have an aftermarket belt but its not covered under the warranty (and it would take 2-3 days before they could get a belt). So wait 2-3 days or pay out of pocket (and of course he recommended that I dont drive it around with the belt like it is). That is kind of an easy decision

Paid the money got my car and went home.

TLDR: Car under manufacture warranty, had to pay for after market belt and service guy made it sound like windshield hose replacement was common

So my questions:

The windshield hose, is this something common with this model and something I need to worry about in the future?

How common is it that a dealership doesnt have subaru belts (and it takes that long to get belts) and a customer has to pay for out of pocket for a car that is under warranty?

I assume the aftermarket belt doesnt void my warranty

I also paid for the extended warranty that starts after I pass 36k

I'm surprised that the dealer wanted to put an after market belt. Depending on where you are and how many other dealers are in the close vicinity of the one you went to, yes, it could take a couple of days to get a part. The belt is not something that needs regular replacement. It's not the oil filter that they stock hundreds of; But on the other hand I think it's on the 100k replacement schedule, so they probably should have had them in stock.

Personally, I would have asked them for a loaner vehicle since it's a warranty issue.

Since it is already done; I would at least call SOA and have them document what was done. They may even give you a voucher to go back and get a factory belt installed. What I'd be more worried about is if that after market belt fails and causes other damage, SOA won't cover it. And I doubt the dealer that installed it will want to take responsibility for it a couple of years down the road.

Before you call SOA, get a quote from a dealer to replace the belt back with a factory belt.

do not use that dealer again

Subaru dealers have all the parts they need and if not, they will order and do what they need to get the parts ie get it from another dealer in the area if they have to. Even if they had used an aftermarket belt, they should have ate the cost and sent you on your way, they could have dealt with SOA whom would have reimbursed them for the part/labor.

Subaru FB 2.5L is so common that there is no reason they do not have drive belts on hand for that engine... it has been around since 2010 state side.. in the Forrester, and since 2013 in the Legacy/Outback.

as for the windshield washer thing, it is not totally rare for a hose to fail and it is a very easy fix. did you notice washer fluid smell?

• 2 weeks later...
did you notice washer fluid smell?

There was no smell that I ever noticed.

Just an update

Reached out to SOA and they had me send over the documents on the maintenance that was done on the car. The person I was working with was super helpful and said that an aftermarket belt should have not been installed and will void the warranty if it was to snap/break something.

I was told to book and appointment with the place I normally go to to get a Subaru belt installed free of charge. They will not reimburse me for the $133, but they will give me a Subaru coupon for $150 (not really sure what im gonna use that for. If it doesn't expire I might be able to use it for maintenance down the road. We will see). I asked if there was anyway I could just get my money back and the person said no, a bit disappointed but im not gonna lose sleep over it.

Thank you all for your replies!

said that an aftermarket belt should have not been installed and will void the warranty if it was to snap/break something.

Doesn't that violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if the aftermarket belt is made to OEM specifications?

I was told to book and appointment with the place I normally go to to get a Subaru belt installed free of charge. They will not reimburse me for the $133, but they will give me a Subaru coupon for $150 (not really sure what im gonna use that for. If it doesn't expire I might be able to use it for maintenance down the road. We will see). I asked if there was anyway I could just get my money back and the person said no, a bit disappointed but im not gonna lose sleep over it.

Thank you all for your replies!

Well, I think that's a good solution, and if I were you I'd stay clear of that dealer.

Can you use that coupon towards tires or other accessories? Buy a pile of oil filters and sell on Ebay? Sell the coupon to someone else for $133?

They will not reimburse me for the $133, but they will give me a Subaru coupon for $150 (not really sure what im gonna use that for. If it doesn't expire I might be able to use it for maintenance down the road.

Its basically a voucher that you can use for parts or service. The only downside is that you have to use the full $150 at one shot. You won't be able to take it in for an oil change use say 100 bucks and then use the remaining $50 later, for example.

Some dealers are good and will ring up both service and parts together and let you use the coupon, others will say that they are separate registers, blah blah and take it only on one. Ask before hand so you are not caught in their BS.

The voucher typically has a 1 year validity.

tornichoe;5868190]Its basically a voucher that you can use for parts or service. The only downside is that you have to use the full $150 at one shot. You won't be able to take it in for an oil change use say 100 bucks and then use the remaining $50 later, for example.

Some dealers are good and will ring up both service and parts together and let you use the coupon, others will say that they are separate registers, blah blah and take it only on one. Ask before hand so you are not caught in their BS.

The voucher typically has a 1 year validity.

I received a voucher from Subaru before. It was good for over 2 years and I was able to purchase parts on two different occasions and did not have to use it all at once.

I received a voucher from Subaru before. It was good for over 2 years and I was able to purchase parts on two different occasions and did not have to use it all at once.

Interesting. The one I got at the end of 2017 had a 1 year validity. May be they changed policy or it varies on a per case basis.

Jesus what an ordeal, took my car in Friday where I bought it to get the official belt installed so ill be compliant with the warranty. "A pulley was broken while working on the car. No charge we just need to keep the car, get the new pulley, and here is a rental. We should have it all done by Monday".

Me: Great!

Im now sitting here on Wednesday still waiting for my damn car, I was supposed to be doing a road trip right now with my car but its on pause because I have this stupid rental.

What a cluster and a half!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::spin::spin::spin:

Jesus what an ordeal, took my car in Friday where I bought it to get the official belt installed so ill be compliant with the warranty. "A pulley was broken while working on the car. No charge we just need to keep the car, get the new pulley, and here is a rental. We should have it all done by Monday".

Me: Great!

Im now sitting here on Wednesday still waiting for my damn car, I was supposed to be doing a road trip right now with my car but its on pause because I have this stupid rental.

What a cluster and a half!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::spin::spin::spin:

I assume the dealership is paying for the rental so just use the rental. No lost!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I have never had an issue with the dealership that i purchased the car from, I have had other dealings with them and they have never been an issue. It was just a perfect storm of stupidity since I was supposedly traveling and would be gone for a while.

Finally got the car back yesterday, lesson learn is to make sure to follow up with the dealership the next day just to make double sure things are moving along

Archived