LegacyGT.com

Searched and Can't Find Answers: HID Headlights Erratic

I've searched around and can't seem to find my specific scenario and wanted to see if anyone else had any idea as to what's going on.

I swapped to Depo HID headlights and they worked ok at first (one side had a slight flicker from the beginning), but soon they wouldn't turn on (high beams, DRL, and fogs all work). Then they would work after driving for a bit, then not work again. I then noticed that they would act erratically if I had them switched on and moved the parking brake up and down. Sometimes staying on after switching the headlight switch to the off position, sometimes one staying on/the other shutting off, etc etc. I first noticed this when they wouldn't turn on while driving and when I stopped in my drive way and pulled the parking brake, they turned on. It's really frustrating. Any input would be appreciated.

If you have the preface light Legacy, you're going to need to disable your DRLs as they run off of the low beams unlike the post face lift which use the high beams as DRLs. Leaving the DRLs functional would cause a lot of issues. I myself, disconnected the DRLs by cutting the wire when I installed my retrofitted HIDs

Well crap, I thought the DRLs were off the high beams, lol. I have '07 so I guess that means they aren't. Are my ballasts hosed then?

I would disable your DRLs and then check. Hopefully they aren't!

Well crap, I thought the DRLs were off the high beams, lol. I have '07 so I guess that means they aren't. Are my ballasts hosed then?

It’s a 50/50 deal. Your ballast should still be good but it’s possible your bulb may have fried in the process. Check your ballast and see if there is any melting and or burnt smell. Disable your DRL before trying to turn your lights again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I have to drive the car everyday, I've been just driving with the headlight switch on at all times to keep the DRL function from activating. I'll have to disable them this weekend. Pulling a plug/fuse/relay seems to be the best course of action to me. Thanks guys for the help. I guess I didn't search well enough this go around. Now I need to search and find out the relay clicking sound from the passenger side whenever the car is under load, lol. Assuming the fuel pump relay.