LegacyGT.com

Engine dying right after starting?

Really puzzled and concerned. I'm taking a planned trip the mountians this weekend and don't want to get stuck.

My 2017 2.5 died this morning right after turning over. Idled for 1-2 seconds, RPMs go to 0, check engine, oil light, ect all come on. I try starting it 2-3 more times with the same results. Let it sit for a second, turn it over, and it stayed on this time. Plenty of gas- like a 1/2 tank and I drove it all the way to work.

At lunch, car started fine. Leaving to head back to work from lunch, it did the start/die thing a couple more times, then was fine. Seems like it's its running more than 3 seconds, it's fine.

I do have a lot (55k) miles on my 2017. Really worried b/c in a couple months the warranty will be up. Any ideas what this might be?

I would check vacuum lines first because it can be pretty easy to DIY.

Also I suggest getting the Torque app on android and an obd2 adapter so you can read the sensors.

Check what the fuel trim looks like, has the ecu learned to add or remove 15% fuel ?

Give the MAF sensor a clean also.

data log it. Engine stalling immediately after start up is OPEN LOOP operation, it takes about 30 seconds for the engine enter closed loop...

Things that the engine needs to start besides fuel air and spark

crank position sensor

MAF

also what does the computer think your throttle is at after start?

Engine stalling immediately after start up is OPEN LOOP operation, it takes about 30 seconds for the engine enter closed loop...

I've checked our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5, and both consistently enter closed-loop mode within 8 seconds of a cold start. That's the primary reason why modern engines have electrically-heated O2 sensors in their exhaust systems.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived