LegacyGT.com

Just bought an '03 Legacy L Wagon

i just picked up this bad boy last night. 250k, but the engine was out for headgaskets, timing belt, etc. about 3k miles ago. It's replacing my 2000 Outback that needed a clutch, HG, timing belt, and everything else you can think of.

So far, I like the handling better in the Legacy, but it does feel a little "cheaper" than the OB. The OB had more amenities, like a power driver seat, and that goofy little fold-out cupholder on the dash. Overall, I like the Legacy better.

What's it take to find a power seat in dark grey cloth? Or is it possible to swap just the power sliders onto my current seat?

I'll have a lot more questions, I'm sure, but I just wanted to share my new car.

YVTWcS2.jpg?1

I think I also read somewhere that these sometimes had 205/60 tires, and mine has 205/55. Do the bigger tires fit? Could I go even bigger than that?

The features you're mentioning are just a lack of features on that specific car. You could've gotten the same features on an Outback as you could with the Legacy. The one you bought is a base model L trim. The GT trim would have the stuff you're talking about.

I don't recall any cloth seats being powered for that gen.

The cupholder is also just a 00-02 versus 03-04 difference. They changed the center console for 03-04 to have two cup holders, so they got rid of the cup holder in the dash.

The features you're mentioning are just a lack of features on that specific car. You could've gotten the same features on an Outback as you could with the Legacy. The one you bought is a base model L trim. The GT trim would have the stuff you're talking about.

I don't recall any cloth seats being powered for that gen.

The cupholder is also just a 00-02 versus 03-04 difference. They changed the center console for 03-04 to have two cup holders, so they got rid of the cup holder in the dash.

Ah, ok. I didn't know there was a GT trim level. That makes sense. Any idea if the stock tire size is supposed to be 205/55 or 205/60? From what I can find online, it looks like OE size is 60, but the guy at the tire shop is trying to tell me they will only put 55s on it.

Ah, ok. I didn't know there was a GT trim level. That makes sense. Any idea if the stock tire size is supposed to be 205/55 or 205/60? From what I can find online, it looks like OE size is 60, but the guy at the tire shop is trying to tell me they will only put 55s on it.

Looks like OEM size is 205/60R15.

The GT trim is pretty hard to find in wagon form. I'd venture to say that a large majority of them were L models.

If you miss the cup holder a lot, that radio bezel can be swapped right in with no changes so you can have a third cup holder up front. I did that with mine. Excuse the mess and half-put-together dash.

eoTEgNO.png

Yeah, that's what I keep seeing too, regarding tire size. But my wheels are 16s, so that's what had me confused.

I just looked on row52, and I see about 10 3rd gen Legacies and OB wagons at the closest Pick-n-Pull. I may try to rustle up a decent 3rd cup holder bezel, along with some other little things. I'm missing the ash try (and maybe another cupholder?) behind the center console, for the rear seats. I also really want to see if there are any OB seats in dark grey. I was much more comfortable in that car than in this one.

Looks like OEM size is 205/60R15.

The GT trim is pretty hard to find in wagon form. I'd venture to say that a large majority of them were L models.

If you miss the cup holder a lot, that radio bezel can be swapped right in with no changes so you can have a third cup holder up front. I did that with mine. Excuse the mess and half-put-together dash.

eoTEgNO.png

I recognize those Husky floor mats. I bought a set for my OBW and since I didn't think I'd end up with another Subaru, Included them in the sale. Just ordered another set for the Legacy.

Snowflake wheels you have take 205/55/r16 tires. outback wheel are 225/60/r16

My GT has black leather and power seat. You can use sedan interior stuff its the same. I've seen a few outbacks with black leather too, the dark blue or black ones.

Yeah, I had the tire place put on some middle of the road Yokohamas in the stock size. Still looks goofy to me after being used to the big tires on the OB.

Can someone tell me what the button to the right of my automatic shifter is for? The button itself is gone on mine. Sport mode or something?

Also, on my OB only the defrost-only mode on the HVAC dial activated the AC, but it seems like on this car, the AC is also activated by the defrost-and-footwell mode. Is it supposed to be that way?

Talking about this "button"?

0YRoKqX.png

If so, it's for the trans lockout. If your battery dies, you'll be able to put a little key in there and shift your trans into neutral to roll it.

Your AC should come on any time you turn your defrost mode on, regardless of combo.

Talking about this "button"?

0YRoKqX.png

If so, it's for the trans lockout. If your battery dies, you'll be able to put a little key in there and shift your trans into neutral to roll it.

Your AC should come on any time you turn your defrost mode on, regardless of combo.

That's the one. Good to know. It looks like there's supposed to be a little silver cover on it, but mine is just a hole.

I just took out the center console, trim around the shifter, and the piece with the gear indicator, all to replace the little bulb under the indicator. Gave it all a heavy cleaning while in there. This car is supposed to be my daily, so I can leave the tinkering to my project car, but I already want to take the Legacy apart from top to bottom, haha.

Archived