LegacyGT.com

Strut recommendations

Hello everyone, MANBEARPIG here, I’m new to the group, so hello! Anyway, I just got a 1999 leg sedan L, I’m told it’s a 2nd gen in the states so I apologize in advance, but I was wondering if you folks had any recommendations for a good reliable set of read struts? I wouldn’t mind if the car stanced higher in the rear, but I’m not looking to blow my load on anything aggressive. I just want something solid, good for the money, easy to instal, and good for a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately only crappy companies make quick struts for older legacys.

The best route of replacement is to go with KYB Struts, which are about 65$ each. I would also replace the top hats as the bearing tend to wear out quickly. You usually don't have to replace the springs(unless rusty),boots,spring seat seal or bump stops.

The only other sensible option is OEM but the price is hefty for a 20 year old car. People use Monroe but they tend to go out a lot quicker than KYB. I have about 30k miles on my KYBs and they still are hold up like new.

Edited by RumbleRumble

Also don't buy cheap top mounts. I got 20$ ones and had this happen. The bearing is press fitted into the rubber mount and mine separated. Couldn't figure out the front end clunk until the strut fell out when changing the knuckle.

16515488_KGqSjSb-Imgur.thumb.jpg.ad5764e0c6566048ba00b96f4bbfbee8.jpg

Edited by RumbleRumble