LegacyGT.com

Warming up the engine in the winter?

Not at all. Was just wondering where the diesel hate was coming from....

I will operate, maintain and enjoy my vehicles as I wish and you do the same.

No diesel hate. Hate for ignorant diesel owners only.... Big difference. Just came back from Europe, rented two diesels, among them an Euro Land Cruiser (Prado) w/2.8L diesel. Decent truck, basically Lexus GX460 with an oil burner. Not fast, of course, but adequate and had tons of torque. I own a 200-series Land Cruiser (V8 5.7L gasser only in the U.S.), and if that thing was available here with the V8 diesel they sell them with elsewhere I'd certainly buy one.

Diesel Subaru OB in Europe=upwards of 70 mpg. I would buy one of those if they ever brought it to the US. It would be a great small trailer hauler with the torque and mileage.

I have had two, one manual Legacy Wagon and one CVT Outback, not bad from a drivability perspective, a lot of low end torque but not much on top.

From normal driving I'd say that 35mpg is what you could expect.

For the CVT I got this:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/234522.png

But I have a bit "lead foot" too.

A history of the fuel use shows that 70mpg is possible under perfectly ideal conditions, but isn't practical:

Outback14.png

453747.png

"It’s best to just give the engine a few seconds to build oil pressure before driving normally. Good oil quality and condition are crucial for protecting the engine in cold start conditions."

I do 30-90 seconds of warm up (if the windows aren't fogged/iced) then drive slow until the car reaches normal operating temp.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Did it mention about temperature? Here in my place goes -25 to -35 Celsius. No way I’ll go in my car without warming it up for 5mins. Or else yourself will get freezin. This will vary by places. By law at 10celsius we’re not allowed idling here. Common sense is the answer.

Archived