LegacyGT.com

Is there a way o keep rear view camera on while driving?

I have seen this done in a Honda Accord.. Curious if there is some kinda hack.

I remember ZapWizard did this on an SJ Forester XT. See the topic on subaruforester.org forum here.

You may get some ideas from that, but the Legacy will obviously have differences (different head unit etc.).

I didn’t get the time to do this mod on my Foz SJ XT so I don’t know how time consuming it would have been, or what degree of difficulty.

Edited by XT-sub
Correct grammar.

There was a post identifying a unique set of button presses that would do this iirc within the past year or so. Good luck on the post search.

edit: search is your friend

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/enable-backup-camera-while-not-reversei-237885.html

You are correct, I posted it - good job searching! :)

Here it is again for reference:

"All you have to do is hold down the info button and press the audio/tune knob two times. This takes you to the Line Diag page. Then just hit "Camera Setting" and you will be viewing your rear view camera indefinitely.

Want to go back to the main head unit to change your music, look at map, etc? Just hit the return button and you will return to the Line Diag screen. Then just hold down the Home button for 3(ish) seconds and the head unit will quickly restart.

This is easy enough to do that you can do while driving if you know you're in a safe position to do so since you can get to the diag page essentially without even looking down at the head unit and then only having to look down to see where the camera setting button is to press it. "

I've been poking-away at this for a few weeks as I have time.

I have a harness that plugs in-between the head unit and car harness which connects to a momentary button to activate reverse mode (while in drive).

I'm nearly there.

Current issue is that the reverse lights also turn on.

I plan on a N/C relay that will open with the button press (disabling the reverse lights).

You are correct, I posted it - good job searching! :)

Here it is again for reference:

"All you have to do is hold down the info button and press the audio/tune knob two times. This takes you to the Line Diag page. Then just hit "Camera Setting" and you will be viewing your rear view camera indefinitely.

Want to go back to the main head unit to change your music, look at map, etc? Just hit the return button and you will return to the Line Diag screen. Then just hold down the Home button for 3(ish) seconds and the head unit will quickly restart.

This is easy enough to do that you can do while driving if you know you're in a safe position to do so since you can get to the diag page essentially without even looking down at the head unit and then only having to look down to see where the camera setting button is to press it. "

Can you use this hack and prevent the radio from either playing AM or FM while the camera is activated?