LegacyGT.com

Poor gas mpg. Need help!!!

brakes were done lastnight, both inner pads in the front were snug on the caliper, but the rotor did rotate fine it seemed before removing the old pads. new pads feel way different, smoother as if the car has less resistance driving, maybe this will help the mpg lol...?????

Well i very rarely get this code unless i am low on oil.

Yeah... Don't get low on oil. Think of that code as the canary in the coal mine. If it pops up, your oil situation should be remedied immediately. Check your oil every other time you get gas. These engines die with low, dirty, or cheap oil.

If you maintain your oil well and still get the code, clean and/or swap the OCVs.

The instant fuel consumption always jumps a lot up and down. What you need to do is to drive the car so it's warmed-up, then fill up the tank. Drive a reasonably long distance with the cruise control locked at a certain speed and then after that fill up again and calculate the fuel consumption from that and the driven distance.

Post the figures you get from that and come back. That way you have a fuel consumption baseline to compare with when doing changes to the vehicle.

453747.png

24mpg seems to be pretty OK for a GT with an auto gearbox. It's a bit better than an STi I was driving around for a while and nursing it I got to about 23 to 24.

The turbocharged EJ engines aren't really sipping gas even when driving carefully. But they provide some fun.

Just make sure everything is in good order to make sure that you don't waste fuel unnecessarily and get the best performance.

453747.png

update.... car does great/ average on hwy driving. but the car becomes borderline retarded with any city driving and drinks fuel like I drink rum. hwy= 24.9 mpg, city= 12.2 on last tank:( any ideas on why it does this during city and not hwy????

Then it may not be so bad.

I've seen some suggestions of OCV and PCV maintenance if you haven't, just do it.

PCV is a PITA but worth it, especially the first time.

Just do it

And again try to smooth out your in town driving style. Works for me.

But any time I drive this car it's hard to not roll it on when you can.

My car: 2009 5EAT w/ 56k, new plugs, fluids, filters, etc. I have not owned my LGT very long but it seems to get the best mileage in Sport mode. I think if I was on the highway w/ cruise set the Intelligent setting may do OK but it seems to lag too bad for around town driving to me. This requires more throttle input for take-offs, etc. I have done light foot on a few tanks each way and see about 1 mpg improvement in Sport mode @ around 21.5. I also do the math on fill ups as I think that little gauge may fool us at times. Just my $.02.

I have not owned my LGT very long but it seems to get the best mileage in Sport mode. I think if I was on the highway w/ cruise set the Intelligent setting may do OK but it seems to lag too bad for around town driving to me. This requires more throttle input for take-offs, etc. I have done light foot on a few tanks each way and see about 1 mpg improvement in Sport mode @ around 21.5. I also do the math on fill ups as I think that little gauge may fool us at times. Just my $.02.

here's an update everyone.... this makes a lot of sense.

I got exactly 300mpg on my tank as I chugged out pulling into the gas station:lol:. (17mpg with 1/2 on HWY driving)

the car in total registered 19.8 mpg on the gauge. much different by calculation. that's including 150 miles of hwy driving.

for this tank I put in 44k with premium. For the first half of the tank I was in I mode. After I read this comment, I switched to Sport and I came to this conclusion... explained as best as possible lol.

I feel in I mode, the car struggles a lot,especially from a stop, having a difficult time getting to speed and maintaining speed through gears.... Less fuel in the engine, so the throttle has to be pressed more, resulting in more fuel consumption based off of the TPS...???, hence, shitty mpg. I noticed when I was on I mode city driving, I was having to press the pedal down a lot. I was monitoring the mpg meter under speedo, which in essence acts as a vacuum gauge and it was buried in the lower digits(-).

I read this post and switched to Sport Mode immediately and felt like the cars fuel ration for city was more balanced. Meaning, there was more fuel/ ratio was better from a dead stop and balanced between gears where as the car didn't have to struggle as much to get going and maintain its speed between gears. The mpg meter beneath the speedo, I was able to keep at the half mark or slightly under while manual shifting at the wheel. noticeable difference from I to Sport mode.

Every time I drive the car, I manually shift as soon as possible to get into a higher gear and that seems to help too.

I ultimately felt the car used less fuel because of the balanced ratio within Sport mode and my constant up shifting.....

- I would related this to physics, lol. In sport mode, the car did use more fuel off the start, but used less because it was able to maintain speed with very little fuel and a better mixture resulting in momentum. In I mode, the car used more fuel all around because it couldn't maintain momentum and having to press the pedal a lot more and further than sport mode, unless it was at a higher speed such as hwy with already had momentum of a traveling speed..... make sense or am I borderline retarded??

Archived