LegacyGT.com

Turbo upgrade help

FoxInABoxOfSocks

Hey guys!

Another likely blatantly obvious post but I’m looking at upgrading my turbo for a bit more power, I drive an 06 b4 legacy gt b, it’s currently for the stock vf40 turbo and no other mods, I’m looking at upgrading to a vf37 or vf36, found them both at a decent price online. Do you think an upgraded tmic and a good etune would be enough to keep her happy? Would you recommend upgraded fuel injectors too?

Regarding the turbos, anyone have any experience with the vf36-37, do you know if it mounts directly on or would I need to do something to get it to fit? I’m not sure what exhaust housing any of the turbos have so don’t know if it’ll even fit on my car!

Cheers in advance

Don't do it unless you really need the couple of hundred rpm you’ll gain in spool over a 52, a 52 will essentially bolt onto your setup where a 36/37 needs Headers, uppipe, downpipe, aftermarket intercooler due to different compressor outlet, then the oil lines and all that that will be slightly misaligned.

In reality you don't need TS on a 2.5 when talking stock size turbo’s. It's only worthwhile once much larger where spool is severely delayed.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Don't do it unless you really need the couple of hundred rpm you’ll gain in spool over a 52, a 52 will essentially bolt onto your setup where a 36/37 needs Headers, uppipe, downpipe, aftermarket intercooler due to different compressor outlet, then the oil lines and all that that will be slightly misaligned.

In reality you don't need TS on a 2.5 when talking stock size turbo’s. It's only worthwhile once much larger where spool is severely delayed.

Sorry forgot to mention, I've got a JDM 2.0GT, so looks like I've actually got a vf38..

Regarding the 52, would that bolt on to my setup? I was under the impression that only a td04hla would bolt directly on ..

Cheers for your response!

Sorry forgot to mention, I've got a JDM 2.0GT, so looks like I've actually got a vf38..

Regarding the 52, would that bolt on to my setup? I was under the impression that only a td04hla would bolt directly on ..

Cheers for your response!

VF38 if it's an auto, TD04HLA if manual if it is prefacelift. is yours prefacelift or post? 06 is usually facelift for JDM vehicles.

a VF44 or 45 from a facelift will drop in and give ever so slightly more but not worth doing unless your one is failing.

Anything OEM except those 4 needs headers, uppipe, downpipe and intercooler at least. Anything like the 52 gives noticeably slower spool due to being single scroll.

The only bolt in upgrade option is a TD04HLA-20T which has a bigger comp wheel so flows something like 10-20% more air.

Kinugawa or Mamba sell them. They’re regarded as OK brands somewhere between eBay Chinese brands and the big players.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived