LegacyGT.com

Radio turns on when starting car

Was the radio on when you turned off the car?

If it was on when you turned off the car then it's a "memorized" state that comes into play.

To check - turn off the radio while engine is running, wait a few moments and then turn off the car, exit and lock the doors. Wait an hour to make sure that it has gone down to low power mode. Then you turn on the ignition and see if the radio comes on again automatically.

It may depend on which type of entertainment system you have as well. Do you have all software updates that have been released? Sometimes things like this is rectified by software updates to the vehicle.

453747.png

I always turn off the radio before I shut the car off. I have all updates. The only workaround I am using is to turn the volume to 0, but I'd rather have the radio not turn on when starting the car. Is this option in any of the menus?

There was talk that the recent nav update fixed this but I haven't bothered to do it yet. I use Android Auto so don't really care much for the built in nav. But there is another work around. Instead of just pressing the off button, hold it for 4 seconds.

There was talk that the recent nav update fixed this but I haven't bothered to do it yet. I use Android Auto so don't really care much for the built in nav. But there is another work around. Instead of just pressing the off button, hold it for 4 seconds.

Not sure if it was the HU or the Nav update I got recently but I noticed radio seemed to stay off . I need to test it once again.

I read this somewhere else also and was hoping that it would work, but it did not, so still searching for an answer.

I never turn the radio off in any car I have owned and each one the car has started up and what do you know :p the radio is on :p

that is normal behavior... Now if you are turning the radio off before you turn the car off and it is coming on when you restart, that is not normal

I never turn the radio off in any car I have owned and each one the car has started up and what do you know [emoji14] the radio is on [emoji14]

that is normal behavior... Now if you are turning the radio off before you turn the car off and it is coming on when you restart, that is not normal

Unless it is '18

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

OK, I have finally found a work-around to this issue! You just to switch to the media screen and the radio won't be on when starting the car. I see that some people like the radio on as soon as they start the car, but I like to get my bearings first and turn on the radio when I'm ready for music.

My 2018 has always turned the radio on when it starts no matter if it was on or off when shut down. I have done both updates and it is still the same.

I just make sure to turn the volume to an acceptable level on a good station when I shut the car off. If I forget that it only takes a fraction of a second to turn it down or off when the car is started. I can't imagine why they designed it that way.

Try holding down the power button until the radio goes off. It will stay off when the car is turned off and then started up again.

I agree here - short push is mute, long push is "off", and Subaru isn't the only manufacturer doing that.

453747.png

I agree here - short push is mute, long push is "off", and Subaru isn't the only manufacturer doing that.

Sigh. That is disappointing. Why do we need a mute function? Just turn the volume all the way down.

Archived